Jay's MSP (aka Project Not-A-Subaru, aka Project Slotege, aka IDK...)

Discussion in 'Project Cars' started by dmention7, Feb 1, 2011.

1. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

Yeah I don't think I will be going back there. Lesson learned and luckily it wasn't too expensive!

2. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

Engine is fully assembled... just need to get another coat of enamel on there, bolt on the accessories, and then drop it back in. Quick cellphone shot with valve cover by Powder Keg in the background.

[​IMG]

3. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Hooray!

4. Cmezz331

Cmezz331 Member

Bish you gonna rock it for the cruise. ?!?!!?,!?,?!,!:!:!$/@/$(/&/!/@@/!:?'?

5. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

Have we picked a day yet? I'm going to be cutting it close, but I think so!

Almost forgot I am still going to need to fit and route lines for the relocated oil filter. That kind of custom shit always takes me longer than it should.

6. ohsixspeedsix

ohsixspeedsix Owl Exterminator!!

No worries, I'll be cutting it close with the miata too. lol

7. Cmezz331

Cmezz331 Member

pop rivets, duct tape and superglue dude...

8. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

Motor went in this weekend, and got a start on hooking everything back up. Spent literally about 2 hours trying to get the damn downpipe aligned with the turbo, and then another hour and a half tightening one single bolt, alternating between two different wrenches and a pair of pliars, and going about 10 degrees at a time.

I think I know where the oil filter is going, but I can't find a good spot on the firewall to mount the pressure regulator. Might end up just zip-tied in there while I figure out how to make a bracket.

9. Cmezz331

Cmezz331 Member

lemmme get deez pics of your relocation.. just got my kit and cooler today

10. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

Got the fittings i need in the mail today. Shoukd have almost everything buttoned up by then. Will definitely grab some pics of the relocation.

11. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

Mocked up the oil system yesterday. Had to ghetto fab a couple of brackets out of some 1/8"x2" aluminum bar stock I had laying around, but I'm fairly happy with the results.

Oil filter mount and bracket behind the passenger side strut tower. Should be plenty of room to get a 3.5" long filter on and off
    [​IMG]

Bracket I made to mount the pressure regulator and a few other items that used to be mounted directly to the IM. Note that I had to move the charcoal canister down to get it out of the way... NBd, just moved the mounting bracket down by one stud, "reshaped" the bracket to let the canister lie closer to the firewall, and bent the metal line into position.
    [​IMG]

Quick shot of where I tapped the MBSP for the oil relief return. (also, dat rusty subframe o_o)
    [​IMG]

Mocked up location for pressure regulator.
    [​IMG]

I need to get another 90 degree fitting to complete everything, but I think I've got the routing and placement all figured out.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  12. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

Okay, pulled the intake mani back out and test fit all the lines.... pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cory, if it helps you later on, I used my master level MS Paint skills to add some fancy annotations:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

Quick shot of progress as of today. Spent about 2 hours wrestling with a fuckin axle. Hate those stupid circlips.

I couldn't get the orange to show up properly. It is most excellent in person.

[​IMG]

Oh, and there are twenty-seven 10mm sockets hidden in that pic. Bonus points to anyone who can find all of them.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  14. Pretty baller right there.

15. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

That, sir- is excellent. Kudos to you.

16. Big Nate

Big Nate Chaos Engineer

Looks great. Very nice clean engine bay.

One thing, how are you not going to dump oil all over the shock tower every time you change the oil?

17. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

Thanks guys :)

Also, Nate, I haven't figured that part out yet. The oil filter mount tilts down towards the filter a bit, so the oil *should* run off the edge of the mount, as opposed to dribbling down the bracket. I was thinking about trying to find a small plastic container that I can slide under the filter when doing oil changes, but it's still probably going to make a mess.

18. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Oh, I found the sockets. They're behind the block, wedged near the trans, where there is NO FUCKING WAY you can reach them. Ever.

19. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

Close but you forgot the one in the oil pan an in the #3 cylinder.

20. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

AH CRAP. I knew I was missing some.