Hayden's big ass project

Discussion in 'Project Cars' started by ohsixspeedsix, Aug 5, 2011.

1. ohsixspeedsix

ohsixspeedsix Owl Exterminator!!

Update time. Ordered up the rest of the brake pads, 25mm spacers, and voodoo shift knob and e-brake handle. Those should be here Friday. Turbo and IC should be here late this week or early next week. This came as well:
    [​IMG]
    Body work is making sweet progress. Spent about 10 hours forming the mold for the drivers side so that it is perfectly symmetrical to the other side.
    [​IMG]
    And here is a little view at the inner working of how to make them perfectly even. Lot of measurements and running back and forth between sides.
    [​IMG]
    And under the cover you can see the extra width and shape.
    [​IMG]

2. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

wait... 25mm spacers? Dude, if you need spacers like that, you ordered the wrong wheels.

3. ohsixspeedsix

allllll the spacers

Find me an affordable set of wheels with that kind of offset and I won't have to use em.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  4. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

A- define affordable.

B- what spec?

5. ohsixspeedsix

Anything the same or less than the price of 6uls lol
    15x8 or 9. 4x100. Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  6. AJ

AJ 110 HP of FURY!

um, I don't use spacers....

7. ohsixspeedsix

You're also not running a widebody aj...

8. ohsixspeedsix

Btw tom. If I run something like a 10 offset, it wont clear the brakes, so id have to run spacers anyways.

9. Picklz

Picklz SUDO Make me a SAMCH

Why are you running a wide body w/o wheels / tires that require a wide body? :boggle:

10. 007CobaltLS

007CobaltLS Member

I would say wheel fail....with what you're spending on everything, wheels/tires shouldn't be skimped on...especially for the aesthetic look. Someone will look at the car from the back and see bicycle tires on it with tons of space in the wheel well...just saying.

11. ohsixspeedsix

[​IMG]

Let me address this one thing at a time.

1. Picklz, the wide body was a design change. Wheels and tires were already bought before I decided to go wide. As a said a few posts ago, If I run a +10 or lower offset, there will be clearance issues and I'll end up running spacers anyways. And if I run more than a +10 offset I won't be flushed out, and I'l need to run spacers. So either way, spacers are pretty much necessary.
    2. Mike, :facepalm: It's not a wheel fail and I did not skimp out on them. And they are definately not bicycle tires and they fill out the wheel wells just perfect. So idk what you've heard/seen. It's a wheel/tire combo that is probably one of the most popular on the miata scene. (not saying that's why I did it.)
    3. With what I am spending on everything, there is a pattern. I'm trying to stay middle of the line on pricing. I could have easily spent TWICE as much if I really wanted to go that way. Just because a lot of money is going into doesn't mean that a budget goes out the window.

Not trying to act all defensive and butt hurt about it, because I could really care less lol. 1 of 3 things will happen.
    a. If I buy the car off. I would sell the current stuff and go with something different.
    b. If the person that wants to buy it doesn't like it wants it changed, it can be done.
    c. If the setup doesn't work right, I will change it anyways.

Until than, I am just going to continue doing what I'm doing. And I'll deal with the wheel/tire/spacer issue later on.

12. 007CobaltLS

007CobaltLS Member

I was just jumping on the bandwagon with Picklz...sorry...not serious. Nice meme, btw...lol.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  13. 007CobaltLS

007CobaltLS Member

Oh, and maybe it was discussed at one point, but I didn't read the entire thread. How wide is it going to be? How many inches will the fenders come out from stock at the widest point?

14. ohsixspeedsix

Each fender is just under 1 inch over stack. So I'd say about 1.8 overall extra side to side. spacers are just under 1 inch each as well.

15. 007CobaltLS

007CobaltLS Member

Oh ok, I was under the impression it was a lot wider than that. Makes sense now.

16. ohsixspeedsix

No it isn't that outrageous. Just enough to add some width and stably and give the ability to go all the wide.

17. ohsixspeedsix

Anyways. Been too hot to work. But stuff!

[​IMG]

18. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Can I ask a seemingly dumb question- not trying to flame or anything, but do you understand offset? If you ran less than a +10, there's no way you'd run into clearance issues, because the backing plate of the wheel would be further from the outer edge of the barrel... giving you MORE room. Now if you were running MORE offset, say a +20, there might be a problem. But that all depends on the wheel. What are the factory offset specs on the wheel you have? Size/diameter/offset?

19. ohsixspeedsix

Yes I understand offset. But any wheels that I liked and were a decent price clearly stated. "Will have figment issues with brakes on miatas." I would need a concave wheel as it seems. And im not prepared to do that JUST YET.

20. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

K just checkin. Trying to figure out where you were at.