• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

Rattling under deceleration ***Update: Getting my diff dropped on monday***

dmention7

Hater
Some of you may have seen this posted at mazdas247.com, but I haven't gotten any solid leads yet, so I'm hoping maybe someone here will have an idea...

I recently had my MSP into the dealer to have the turbo replaced under warranty (leaking oil and almost no boost), and I had them check on a noise I've been hearing since I bought the car in April, but had little luck diagnosing myself.

The best way I can think to describe it is a clunky rattling noise from the front driver's side corner that occurs whenever I am decelerating--coasting, braking, in gear, out of gear, clutch in, clutch out, always. The rattle seems to follow the speed of the wheels, as opposed to the speed of the engine--at 70mph it's a sharp rattling, and as I coast it slows to a more of a rhythmic clunking by around 30mph. It disappears completely below about 15mph. At any speed it's less pronounced if I pop the car in neutral, but it doesn't change the pitch/tempo of the rattle. It's much more noticeable with the windows shut, which leads me to believe I'm hearing the source of the rattle resonating through the floor or something. I can also feel it in the shifter.

So, back to the dealer--they wanted to pin it on my aftermarket catless midpipe banging on the cross-member, which sounded somewhat plausible to me since I've heard of that issue before. But I was still a bit perturbed by the other characteristics of the sound, and the fact that I had been hearing the noise when the exhaust was completely stock, so I insisted that a tech ride with me, and they take another look to rule out all other possibilities. The next day, they told me they had used some different nuts and washers to secure my midpipe a bit better, and installed new shifter bushings, but they were still convinced the problem was the midpipe/crossmember. I thanked them for taking another look, and took the car home. But when I popped it up on ramps to inspect the midpipe for myself, I couldn't find any evidence that it had ever contacted the crossmember--it's painted/coated, and there is a long scratch from when I was installing it, but not a single nick or ding that you would expect if it was rattling against the crossmember constantly.

(I should also note that I have installed street unit front/rear motor mounts, but had been hearing the rattle before those installs.)

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I've had no luck tracking down the source of the noise myself, and I have a feeling that any other dealers I visit are just going to try and blame the noise on my aftermarket parts, especially since I didn't report the noise right away.

Tentative leads I've gotten so far:

-CV joints (I've checked the boots briefly but didn't notice anything amiss)
-Exhaust hitting top of exhaust tunnel (pending investigation)
-Wheel hubs (pending investigation)

M

micahlarson

ahhh I can't think of what it is but I've heard of this before

Big Nate

Chaos Engineer
I have the same noise from my speed 6 coming from the front some place. More of just a clunck though.

M

micahlarson

OHH that's right umm ashley said she broke her lsd and it was making smoe kid of rattle like that ..

dmention7

Hater
But doesn't the LSD just give out suddenly? It happened to her when she was making a normal shift, according to her post at mazdas247.com

D

DrWebster

If you can feel a vibration in the shifter that corresponds with the noise, it's definitely something internal to the drivetrain. I don't think something like the midpipe hitting the crossmember would translate all the way to the shifter, and if it could, it would have to hit HARD as it spins. I think your thoughts of CV joint or wheel bearing are right.

mndsm

I'M OFFENDED!
Jay, if I get some time this weekend, maybe I can swing by and have a listen to it. I'm no mechanic, but usually have a good guess if I can actually hear the noise.

dmention7

Hater
Okay, well I put my car up on jacks just now. The CV joints look absolutely fine. I can't get any noise out of the wheel hub either. What I did find, is that if I rock the front driver's side wheel gently back and forth (with the passenger wheel still on the ground), I can hear a slight metallic clunking from inside the transmission--and it sounds like it might be from the diff housing. There is about 1/4" of rotational play in the wheel, and it makes that little clunk at each extreme.

I had my GF rock the wheel back and forth while I sat in the driver seat with the windows up--the sound was quite audible, and sounded virtually identical to the sound I hear under deceleration, and from the same location. I feel 90% confident I've tracked the source of the sound down.... what will make me 100% sure is if someone can verify for me that it's NOT normal to hear a sound from the transmission when you rock one wheel back and forth. Especially one that is clearly audible from inside the cabin.

M

micahlarson

well if you want I can have my friend if he has time look at your car he's a master mech. so I'm sure that he'll know what's up or I can just call and ask him

M

micahlarson

I called my friend he said that the sound is not normal and that it could be coming from the cv shaft yoke or a part in the differental, he said to take the wheels off and check further in, pretty much go from the brake rotor on in until you isolate it

M

micahlarson

np it sounded like he know exactly what to do to so if you want I can ask him to look at it for you if you would like

dmention7

Hater
Well, I pretty much did isolate it. I can clearly hear that it's coming from the transmission housing, and not the CV joints. I just can't tell for sure whether it's the gearbox or the diff housing.

J

JustROLLIN

Sorry Jay, I wish I would have read this earlier. The problem you are having is caused by the Plunge Joint, or inner CV joint on one of the front axle shafts. The problem cannot be related to a transmission or differential b/c you are hearing the noise with the clutch in and clutch out. The input shaft to the transmission, which in turn will put power through the differential is not actually turning when the clutch is depressed. So, you can rule both those out. The outer CV joint can be ruled out b/c you would the normal "clicking" noise when turning if it was failing. Problem solved, glad I could be of help. Now, you need to narrow it down to which joint and try to have Mazda cover it under warranty. Best of luck!

dmention7

Hater
Sorry Jay, I wish I would have read this earlier. The problem you are having is caused by the Plunge Joint, or inner CV joint on one of the front axle shafts. The problem cannot be related to a transmission or differential b/c you are hearing the noise with the clutch in and clutch out. The input shaft to the transmission, which in turn will put power through the differential is not actually turning when the clutch is depressed. So, you can rule both those out. The outer CV joint can be ruled out b/c you would the normal "clicking" noise when turning if it was failing. Problem solved, glad I could be of help. Now, you need to narrow it down to which joint and try to have Mazda cover it under warranty. Best of luck!

I shall hit up morries sometime this week, armed with this powerful new information! Thanks Joe!

EDIT: Just to be sure, it's plausible that those inner joints can fail, even if the boot still appears to be intact and in good condition?

J

JustROLLIN

Absolutely. And actually, those joints typically fail w/o the boot tearing. Due to their location on the vehicle, and the movement they actually see, which is very minimal, the inner boots rarely tear.

The main points you want to mention to Mazda are these:

1) Noise always under decel conditions
2) Clunk type of noise - related to veh. speed not eng. speed
3) Noise is coming from the trans area on the veh.

Depending on how specific you want to get, you can mention someone else diagnosed it, and told you it was the plunge joint. Sometimes the techs need a lil kick in the rear...lol.