• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

MS3 Oil Filter - Where to get it?

S

Slim

It's finally time for my first oil change in the MS3 and I'm wondering where people that change their own oil on the Speed3 get the oil filter? And how much?

dmention7

Hater
It's the same filter as the base 2.3, and I always got mine from the dealer. Apparently the OEM cartridge is top-notch, and they were about $5

S

Slim

It's the same filter as the base 2.3,
Really. Then, it's the same one I used in my 6 w/ the 2.3L?

This is the filter that i use it is the same as the stocker.
I gotta NAPA right by me so that should work. Need to get this done before I travel this weekend.

Thanks for the help.

M

mazdamn02

Na, speed models don't need oil changes. The turbo regenerates oil.

mndsm

I'M OFFENDED!
Really. Then, it's the same one I used in my 6 w/ the 2.3L?

I gotta NAPA right by me so that should work. Need to get this done before I travel this weekend.

Thanks for the help.
Did the 6 have a drop in cartridge?

Also, you're going to need a filter adapter if you don't already have one. I have the tool if you want to arrange to meet up and get it from me.

S

Slim

Did the 6 have a drop in cartridge?
The 4 cyl. 2.3 did. The V6 did not.

Also, you're going to need a filter adapter if you don't already have one. I have the tool if you want to arrange to meet up and get it from me.
Thanks for the offer. I've got a strap wrench (one of those new-fangled rubber ones) that'll work for now.

S

Slim

I'll be careful, I promise.

I do plan on ordering the wrench very soon for next time.

mndsm

I'M OFFENDED!
Yeah, I got lucky. I was at Autozone looking for the thing (it's basically a bigass socket) and the had every one but the one I wanted. So i'm standing there, debating and this guy is like "You need that for a Mazda 3" Baffled as all hell i'm like "Yah, why?" Turns out the dude used to work for Mazda in Florida and had one in his tool kit that he brought up with him, and then hands it to me, no charge. Which reminds me, I ought to throw a 20$ in that guy's mailbox for being cool.

S

Slim

Right place at the right time FTW! Lucky you.

Anyways, oil change went pretty smoothly last night. Having parents with a heated garage is the bomb. Out with the dark old oil and in with the free Pennzoil Platinum. My dad thought the oil cap was pretty cool too.

FYI, Napa filters are $5 a piece including the necessary O-rings.

Young Roids

Banned
LOL checker charged me like 10 bucks for the FRAM filter and both of my rubber strap wrenches broke when trying to get the fileter off.

mndsm

I'M OFFENDED!
That is why you get the tool. Even if it's 15$, it's worth every penny. But then again, I got mine for free off a Mazda tech, so I'm already ahead on that one.

S

Slim

That is why you get the tool. Even if it's 15$, it's worth every penny. But then again, I got mine for free off a Mazda tech, so I'm already ahead on that one.
I just ordered one for $5.90 with free shipping from here. I'll let you know how the service process goes since they seem like a newer website.