• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

Itasca State Park Clubhouse Trip III - September 2014 (Fri-Sun 12-14)

Picklz

SUDO Make me a SAMCH
*CANCELED* Itasca State Park Clubhouse Trip III - September 2014 (Fri-Sun 12-14)

*CANCELED*

Itasca Clubhouse Trip III
Itasca State Park - Park Rapids MN
Two Nights - Friday September 12 to Sunday September 14th 2014

MN Mazda first visited this amazing 100+ year old log clubhouse in 2008. After a 4 year break from we recently returned from our second trip and it proved to be just as awesome as the first time. I think everyone agreed it would be nice to have two nights in this awesome Cabin/Clubhouse so I'm going to try and organize a longer stay for 2014.

For those that did not make the first trip (back in 2008) or our 2013 trip - Itasca state park has a wonderful old turn of the century (I think) log cabin/clubhouse, this thing is huge, the whole center of the place is a wide open great room, two stories tall w/ a balcony all the way around the interior. Then it is lined with 10 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms around the perimeter.

There are no cooking facilities in the cabin so coolers are a must for beverage cooling - there is campfire area where we can cook food. Technically alcohol is not allowed in state parks - however each of our trips we've had plenty to drink, as long as things are kept reasonable / under control it's no problem.

Sleeping Arrangements
Bedrooms have varying configurations of Double and Single Beds - a total of 7 doubles and 7 singles between the 10 rooms. SOME people may have to share a room depending on how many people go. Couples will have first dibs on Double beds, and bed/bedroom selection will be offered in the order you put a deposit down. There will be no calling dibs or anything like that. Those who pay first get to pick first. No exceptions.

Cost and Deposits
The total cost for the cabin is $500 with Tax PER NIGHT. Unfortunately Itasca requires the full amount up front on a two night stay, so I'm going to have to front $1000. Because of this I'm adjusting the deposit structure a little bit from what we had before.

The total cost will be divided evenly between the total number of people that go. So if we get 10 people it'll be $100 or so per person for 2 nights. Keep in mind this place can sleep 21+ people so the more that go the cheaper this ends up being.

Deposits will be required - I'm asking for a $30 per person non-refundable deposit to get on the list, this can be paid via cash in person, mailing me a check, or via a paypal 'friend/gift' transfer (no fee transfer). If you have to bow out and you find someone else to take your spot they can certainly pay you back your deposit, they will, however, be bumped to the bottom of the list as far as selecting bed/bedrooms.

As of right now September 12-14 is the ONLY weekend available in 2014, it opens for registration on the 14th of 2013 (just a few days away), so someone else could reserve this site out from under us. I know this is SO far in advance, but the more committed deposits we get really early the more likely we are to get this thing rolling.

I will probably book the cabin as soon as I have 8-10 people say they are willing to send the deposit, and then as soon as it's actually booked as for people to start sending deposits.

Final payment will be due sometime the week of or once we get up there - once we know how many people we have going and what the total will be per person.

Attractions:
Last time, from what I can remember we all went hiking around Lake Itasca for a while, then went up to the headwaters of the Mississippi and walked across it (it's tiny up there!) There's plenty of other things to see/do as people see fit - boat/kayak/canoe rentals, mountain bike rentals, hiking trails, etc. Last time we spent a good deal of the time just hanging around the campfire and lake (just a few hundred feet from the cabin) just hanging out, BSing, and relaxing.

Pets
Since it was asked - pets are NOT allowed in the cabins - if you wanted to camp you could bring your dog/cat/whatever but you cannot stay at the cabin with them.

Interested Parties:
Matt & Kelsey
Jay & Nanami
Corey & Tauni
Josh & Michele

Attendees:

Double Beds
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)

Single Beds:
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)

Last edited:

Tauni

I'm confused.
Ooof. How are you even ready to think about this yet!? I can't make any promises on this one as that will be right after our wedding and honeymoon. Might just put the deposit down and then play it by ear as the date gets closer!

Picklz

SUDO Make me a SAMCH
Ooof. How are you even ready to think about this yet!? I can't make any promises on this one as that will be right after our wedding and honeymoon. Might just put the deposit down and then play it by ear as the date gets closer!
Yeah, I know it's a long ways out and we JUST got back, but I would like to go and NOT have it be on a Sunday night so hopefully more people can make it, and with how fast the weekends book up for it we need to get things figured out sooner than later.

Picklz

SUDO Make me a SAMCH
Well, I'll be giving it back Dan. Someone reserved the Clubhouse before I was able this morning, so - there are officially no weekends available :(

I'm going to search for some alternatives for cabin/lake/etc shens, I have a couple ideas so stay tuned!

Picklz

SUDO Make me a SAMCH
FFFUUU all, there's a number of private lake homes available for rent at or below the price of the Clubhouse - so I'm thinking that might be a solid secondary option. Maybe rent a boat as well (if one isn't already provided) What do people think about such things?

dmention7

Hater
I think if there's something available that sleeps 10-15 people for <$50/nt per person, that would be pretty awesome, especially if we could get a pontoon worked into the deal. Even if it doesn't sleep quite that many, I've got no problem tenting it for a weekend personally.

Tauni

I'm confused.
I think if there's something available that sleeps 10-15 people for <$50/nt per person, that would be pretty awesome, especially if we could get a pontoon worked into the deal. Even if it doesn't sleep quite that many, I've got no problem tenting it for a weekend personally.
I agree. If I had to pitch a tent I wouldn't be that worried - then Crashy could come :) As long as there is beer and friends I think anything will be a good option!

mOjO

Also, and relevant to the thread... you guys could always VRBO.com and find a large cabin for rent someplace up north where you don't have to worry about camp guards crying over any booze you brought.

When my wife ran Grandma's Marathon we rented a HUGE cabin (slept nearly 20) north west of Duluth: http://www.vrbo.com/286136#

Last edited:

Picklz

SUDO Make me a SAMCH
Yep Mojo, that's where I've been looking (along with some resorts I know of). I got side-tracked and started looking at Vegas properties though.