• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

What is going on!

speed3syndicate

So recently I purchased the grimmspeed electronic boost controller (EBCS) for my 1st gen MS3 and my car has been really haulin ass.The only problem is that
when I do highway pulls going about 60mph and dropping it down to fourth gear from sixth it works perfect but then once I go up to fifth and I reach about 6500
rpm's my car jolts and looses power for about a second and then it kicks in again.WHAT COULD BE HAPPENING???? I'm thinking I need new hpfp internals because
it seems as if the fuel cuts out.I need advice guys.

dmention7

Hater
Could be several things, but without some basic data (AFRs, boost levels, etc) it's really hard to say. Please tell me you have a wideband and boost gauge before you started mucking around with a boost controller :)

speed3syndicate

I had a boost gauge until a day after the install!lol then sold it haha.I have a wide band af gauge i just dont know how to hook it up btw will pay for the install of the af gauge if interested.

JohnnyT

Get an AP on that, do a few logs and post them up. Log your fuel pressures too. Fuel cut would occur in any gear at a certain rpm range.

5th gear at 6,500 huh? I sure hope that's in Mexico or at the race track...

Wildfyre116

The Grimmspeed EBCS does not modify the boost levels at all if you connect it via the directions that show 2-port. If you decided to hook it up 3-port instead, you are overboosting and will probably blow your engine up pretty soon if you keep on it. It probably feels like it's hauling ass because you're running higher boost, and that loss of power is probably fuel cut. I highly recommend either installing the stock BCS unit, or ensuring Grimmspeed is hooked up right & you take some logs of the car ASAP. https://www.grimmspeed.com/install_guides/PDFs/boost_control_solenoid_MazdaSpeed.pdf

Wildfyre116

I should also mention I have one installed on my car. Installed with 2-port, there is no change in power, because the boost does not change. An EBCS is not a power-adding mod unless you're changing the boost levels.

speed3syndicate

I've been running two port since the install, I intially installed it because I wasn't getting constant boost through my rpm range. Now I do so it hauls ass. The weird thing is is that it never cut out until I put the ebcs in. My turbo supporting mods are a full tbe, intake, bov, and soon to be at my door a fmic. Also if i'm getting fuel cuts does that mean that i'm running rich through every gear or just in 5th when I cut out? My boost gauge reads normal psi.

Wildfyre116

I've been running two port since the install, I intially installed it because I wasn't getting constant boost through my rpm range. Now I do so it hauls ass. The weird thing is is that it never cut out until I put the ebcs in. My turbo supporting mods are a full tbe, intake, bov, and soon to be at my door a fmic. Also if i'm getting fuel cuts does that mean that i'm running rich through every gear or just in 5th when I cut out? My boost gauge reads normal psi.
Just so I'm up to speed, you have a turbo-back exhaust on the car but no high-pressure fuel internals? That's a huge, huge risk to run on these cars. Order HPFP Internals and don't floor the car (hell, I'd avoid boost all together) until they come. See this for references: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f303/official-hpfp-camshaft-driven-fuel-pump-fuel-105248/

The second thing you need to do is tune the car using something like Cobb AP. Running all of these mods with no tune is asking for trouble.

Honestly, there's little point to figuring out why the car cuts when it does. You have massive issues leading to that; fix them first, then troubleshoot after that. You'll save time, sweat, and probably a lot of money, overall.

Also, I'd probably do a compression test and a boost-leak test just to make sure everything is kosher. If you find a cylinder is low on the compression test, you might have already done irreversible (until the part gets replaced) damage.