• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

TSB on the MS6 Clutch

AJ

110 HP of FURY!
From this thread: http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=74700&st=0

TSB: 05-003/07
2006 - 2007 MAZDASPEED6 - CLUTCH PEDAL IS DIFFICULT TO OPERATE
APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2006 - 2007 Mazdaspeed6 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1GG****7*107613

DESCRIPTION
When releasing the clutch, the height of the pedal where the clutch starts to engage is higher than other vehicles making a smooth engagement difficult. Higher pedal pressure is required to depress the clutch pedal at the point of clutch engagement.

The following mass-production changes have taken place:

Feb. 21, 2006 - Improved clutch pedal characteristics.

May 26, 2006 - Improved clutch cover release load characteristic.

July 1, 2006 - Improved clutch disc cushion deflection.

Type A Vehicle

(VINs from JM1GG******100001 - 106359)
Type B Vehicle

(VINs from JM1GG******106360 - 107613)

Clutch Pedal Type: "Pre-Modified"
Clutch Pedal Type: "Modified"

REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. Verify customer concern that clutch pedal is awkward or difficult to operate.
2. Determine if vehicle is Type A or Type B:
If Type A vehicle (with Pre-Modified Clutch Pedal): Replace clutch pedal, clutch cover, and clutch disc assemblies with modified parts according to Workshop Manual (section 05-10 CLUTCH PEDAL REMOVAL/INSTALLATION A26MX-R).

If Type B vehicle (with Modified Clutch Pedal): Replace clutch cover and clutch disc assemblies with modified parts according to Workshop Manual (section 05-10 CLUTCH UNIT REMOVAL/INSTALLATION A26MX-R).

3. Verify repair.
PART(S) INFORMATION
CAUTION: * The modified Clutch Cover Assembly and Clutch Disc Assembly must be replaced as a set.Part Number
Description
Qty.

GP4L-41-300A
Clutch Pedal Assembly

L304-16-410A
*Clutch Cover Assembly

L304-16-460B
*Clutch Disc Assembly

P017-27-421A
Driveshaft Retaining

T060-26-169A
Tie-Rod Nut Lock

GJ6A-33-023C
Lower Arm Bush (Front)

GJ6A-33-024C
Lower Arm Bush (Rear)

A601-17-117
Drain and Filler Plug Seal

L3A1-40-581
Seal Ring

LN01-27-3A2
Ring "O"

LN01-27-3A3
Oil Seal

WARRANTY INFORMATION
NOTE:

This warranty information applies only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty repair. Refer to the Warranty Wizard for warranty term information.

Additional diagnostic time cannot be claimed for this repair.

---------------

I've never liked the clutch and have never made any changes to it. I may have to talk with them on this one.

D

Dinos Speed6

Finally, I have been trying for so long to get "used" to this clutch and it just wasn't happening. I can't wait to have a talk with the dealership.

AJ

110 HP of FURY!
Just make sure you realzie this isn't something that you go into the dealership with telling them to fix an issue. It's a TSB, not a recall. but the odds are, if it's out of wack, it should be replaced at no cost.

J

JustROLLIN

I wonder if there is anything similar on the regular 3. I have just never gotten "use to" this clutch. I just really dont care for it.

AJ

110 HP of FURY!
Well, I have an appt for my 15k mile service on the 15th and I asked them to look at the clutch adjustment as well in a polite way, and mentioned the TSB on the car. To me, I'm not in it for a free clutch, just for them to know I have an issue with the way it currently is. I'll provide an update after the 15th.

AJ

110 HP of FURY!
Well, a little update. I went in for the 15k service today. Paul, the manager their, was quick to great me and get me all checked in. He asks me about the clutch question I had in the notes and I brought up the TSB. He wasn't sure what I was talking about at first but found all the info and the end result is that I took my car back home and left with no work done.

Paul is ordering all the clutch parts and my car goes in for all the work at onces on the 21st. So as of right now, it's confirmed that Mazda is standing behind that, they have all the info, and in some cases (VIN dependant) the TSB is resulting in a new clutch system. Disc, Plate, everything listed above.

I'm interested to see how it feels after it's all done, I just hope it's better than before.

I didn't go in saying I wanted a new clutch, I was just honest. I have never liked the adjustement and I've always been worried on how that will effect the longevity of the clutch itself. I've very happy with with Paul at Brookdale is taking care of this and I'll be sure to post results after it's done.

If you are looking to get this done, feel free to wait till mine is done so I can give a good review after breaking in the new clutch, otherwise feel free to make a phone call to get you car in and looked at.

Big Nate

Chaos Engineer
I think i will get this done. but i will wait till there is a good review and then i am going to brookdale to have it done.

AJ

110 HP of FURY!
Just another update, there was a delay in getting the parts but my car went in this morning. I should have it back Mon or Tues of next week with a new clutch.

AJ

110 HP of FURY!
Brand new Galant, it's like a dead cow with wheels. lol I don't like them at all. But I needed a car.

AJ

110 HP of FURY!
HOT DAMN! Well, I have my MS6 back now with a brand new clutch, and new settings for the engagement. The car finally feels like a I'm driving a smooth car now. Any and all jerkyness is gone, it's a really solid release point and everything is so smooth now. I had no issues with the dealership, in fact they did everything from calling me by first name to making sure all the little settings (like my radio stations) where in place when I got the car back. I'm stoked to have the car back now. I've only got 150 miles on it so far, but this weekend I'll have it fully broken in.

J

JustROLLIN

Nice! I like to hear that Mazda is handling warranty issues well. I deal with the manufacturers all day and constantly battle for warranty claims. Speaks volumes about Mazda if they are taking care of their customers especially on something as large as a clutch.

Z

Z-licious

Nice! I like to hear that Mazda is handling warranty issues well. I deal with the manufacturers all day and constantly battle for warranty claims. Speaks volumes about Mazda if they are taking care of their customers especially on something as large as a clutch.
Uh....right, now what about all the people who are being denied this TSB work, and all the other people who are being denied warranty work for broken rear differentials. Mazda service, nationwide, is subpar.

J

JustROLLIN

Apparently AJ must have super skills or the other people just have no skills. Since I know AJ's skills, I would have to say the others likely have no skills.

AJ

110 HP of FURY!
All I did was call to set up an appt, let them know my concerns, let them know I knew about the TSB, let them know it was something I havn't been happy with since I bought the car, and they actually scheduled the car for the clutch TSB without even driving it before hand.

I had no mods on the car, but they told me if I even did have somthing like suspension, exhaust, or something else bolt on that wouldn't change metered air and such it would have still been covered.

Z

Z-licious

I'm talking nationwide. I've heard that the MN dealers have been pretty good with the TSB. But I don't think we've had any broken rear diff cases yet. We will see.