• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

Forum host information

P

pingwin77

I'm not sure where to put this thread, so it goes here.

I'm looking at putting a forum together for a software that I use at my work. I'm not sure how to go about getting that done. I have setup a few other forums from free sites, but you always have their site name then your after it (ex. www.brightforums.com/mike's forum ) I want to have my own web address.

Can you toss out any advise on how to get started?

Thanks!

dmention7

Hater
I think it's as easy as getting your domain name registered with a DNS server. Your ISP could probably help you out with that.

P

pingwin77

DNS server? I'm not very internet info. literate.

ISP stands for "Incredible Speed Protege" Right? :D

dmention7

Hater
A DNS server is just a service that translates the internet addresses we tpye (www.mnmazda.com) into numerical IP addresses (e.g. 234.197.32.56)

You usually have to register a domain name with some company for a small fee--maybe $10/year or so--to have the site name you choose associated with the physical address of the site.

ISP= Internet Service Provider. Or whoever is providing the space on which the forum will be hosted. If it's a company server, check with your IT department, otherwise jsut give a call to the company you pay your internet bill to. They should be able to tell you everything you need.

I've never actually done this, but I'm relatively sure of the basics.

P

pingwin77

sweet, that is a start. Thanks!

hopefully one of the owners here will hop on and give some tips too.

Picklz

SUDO Make me a SAMCH
As others have said you register your own domain www.yourname.com with someone, I use godaddy.com but many different sites provide this service. Then you point it to wherever you are hosting the website/forum, whoever your host is should have information on what name servers you need to point the domain at.

If you need help let me know :)

P

pingwin77

What solfware is it for?
I'm putting one together for the inspection software on our OGP vision CMM's. There is one out there for out PCDmis touch probe systems, but not the vision ones.

AJ

110 HP of FURY!
I moved this since it doesn't go in our site news.

Basically you need a domain name and then forum software. Based on what software though, your choices can be limited. The free shit you sometime don't have much of a choice. Some places are hosted on their own server and you need to just follow suit, thus their name is always in the forum.

Personally I would just get a domain name (godaddy.com) and then do a web search for forum software in google and you'll see a few options. vBulletin has by far the best support and extra features, but it costs a little change.

P

pingwin77

That's cool. Like I said, I wasn't sure where to put it.

Is vBulletin the one that is used here?

I'm looking for one that will have the option to view the new posts in a thread that you have already posted in. Like the one in the Mazda3forums. I know that will a feature that people will want to have.

Any recomendations for one with that feature?

AJ

110 HP of FURY!
Yes we use vBulletin here. I'm not sure what the Mazda3forums use by looking at it.

dmention7

Hater
Mike, if you click "User CP" inthe top menu bar, you get a list of threads you have posted in, that contain new posts. Just like mazda3forums.com

P

pingwin77

I don't see any. Do you have to subscribe to them? That is new to me. Them can you also UN-subscribe to them? That would be awesome.

dmention7

Hater
They only show up if you haven't viewed the thread since the last post. And yes, you can unsubscribe, unlike mazda3forums.com

Picklz

SUDO Make me a SAMCH
phpBB is a popular free board that works very well, and has quite a bit of community support. If laying out some cash is an option vBulletin is great also. Are you looking for a forum to ask questions, discuss things, etc or more of a place to store information?

The group I'm in at work setup a wiki to store documents, procedures, and other helpful info about customers and stuff all in one location, works well. But provides a different function than a forum.