• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

Timing chain issue?

Ryan5424

Hey guys so I recently purchased a 08 Speed3, when the engine starts up you can here the rattling of the chain I gets a little less noticeable as it runs but still worries me. The car drives fine but I feel like the chain needs to be replaced, is it safe to drive it as it is until I come up with the money to fix it? And where would be a good place to do it at?

derrian

Pika-Zoom!
Staff member
No, no, no. Do not drive it if you think there is a timing issue. The problem is the chain gets too loose and starts slapping the top of the valve cover, which makes it looser, the chain more prone to snapping, or even slipping a tooth screwing up the timing.

You can kind of hand check the tension of the chain. I would do that and see if it is loose. If it is, I wouldn't drive it.

Ryan5424

No, no, no. Do not drive it if you think there is a timing issue. The problem is the chain gets too loose and starts slapping the top of the valve cover, which makes it looser, the chain more prone to snapping, or even slipping a tooth screwing up the timing.

You can kind of hand check the tension of the chain. I would do that and see if it is loose. If it is, I wouldn't drive it.
For sure do you know how much a ballpark to replace it is?