• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

mnmazda Geocaching

Would you be interested in a member based Geocaching summer event?

• Total voters

mOjO

My roommate who is an avid motorcyclist mentioned that one of the forums that he visits regularly was recommending a forum geocaching summer event. I thought that mnmazda would have a great time doing the same sort of thing. What do you think?

mOjO

Geocaching is finding your way to a specific Latitude and Longitude, finding the cache (usually a waterproof container with a log and some sort of cheap prize). There are nearly 900,000 registered geocaches around the world. Most people use a gps device to get close and do some hunting.

What I was thinking is that any interested member could determine a location, set up the cache and post the exact coordinates here. If you don't have a GPS device that will give you the Lat/Lon, you can always refer to google maps for it.

It'd be a fun way to get members out and about...or to organize geocache meets.

W

WhiteSpy9

Sounds interesting......

Would kind of suck if you go stick some junk outside and tell someone where it is at, only to get there and some else has already stolen said junk who didn't even know someone would be out looking for it.

mOjO

Would kind of suck if you go stick some junk outside and tell someone where it is at, only to get there and some else has already stolen said junk who didn't even know someone would be out looking for it.
Good point.. I'll have to read up on how people mark/identify the caches...

dmention7

Hater
Any websites one could use if they are not in possession of a GPS unit? Google maps seems to do okay at giving the coordinates of a particular point, but I couldn't figure out how to make it map a set of coordinates.

mOjO

Google does a pretty good job of finding whatever Lat/Lon format you give it. However, if you are setting a cache and want to know it's coordinates do the following.

1. Find your location on google maps.
2. put the cursor on the exact location of the cache and right click
3. select "center map here"
4. paste the following javascript into the address bar: javascript:void(prompt('',gApplication.getMap().getCenter()));
5. the map coordinates will appear in a pop up box which you can copy.

M

mazdamn02

Any websites one could use if they are not in possession of a GPS unit? Google maps seems to do okay at giving the coordinates of a particular point, but I couldn't figure out how to make it map a set of coordinates.
If you had an iPhone, you could geocache :)