• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

Coffee Thread

W

WhiteSpy9

So this came today. Won't get to make a full pot until Saturday, but it got really great reviews at coffeegeek and amazon.

dmention7

Hater
Jana, look back at posts 24 and 25. Andy and I kind of answered your questions.... maybe not 100% though. Short story is it's similar in function and brewing method to a french press, but kind of a refinement or modernization on the concept.

dmention7

Hater
So I went to use my grinder for the first time in several months (bad... I know), and both the top and bottom burr mills had rusted like crazy!

I guess now I have to decide if it's worth it to just replace the burr mills or upgrade to something a little better.

W

WhiteSpy9

What?!?! That shouldn't happen. Good thing you checked though.
I know the cheaper models are actually using plastic burrs. Maybe this is why.

If you can swing it or add it to an xmas list, grinder is one of the most important components to good coffee. There are good and bad options at all price ranges.

What's your budget? What do you want to brew?

Had a cup from the Bonavita this morning and it was really tasty.
I got a lot of nice flavors from the cup. That has never happened with any other drip maker I've used.

So I went to use my grinder for the first time in several months (bad... I know), and both the top and bottom burr mills had rusted like crazy!

I guess now I have to decide if it's worth it to just replace the burr mills or upgrade to something a little better.

Jana

Thanks! I'll dig back through those posts as well. I flavor my coffee with so much creamer, that to me...it doesn't really matter. AJ wants to try finding a better cofffee where you could enjoy it black.

Jana

I just realized after you guys pointed me back to those posts, that I asked the same fricken question... I think I just need to order it up & try it out. It's pretty cheap, and I think I have a decent coffee grinder yet sitting around.

dmention7

Hater
Even if you don't have a good grinder handy, buying beans at a coffee shop and having them grind them for you will be head and shoulders above buying pre-ground stuff at the grocery store. Just make sure to only buy 1/4 or 1/2 lb at a time, and have them ground for a paper filter, or slightly finer. The aeropress tends to work well with finely ground coffee because you can use a really short brew time (like espresso)

W

WhiteSpy9

The great thing about the aeropress is it does will with coarse coffee and even un-even coffee. A blade grinder run a little longer, would actually be fine for the aeropress.
Of course, you could get better results with a more consistent grind, but I've used a blade, cheap burr, medium grade burr grinder and they produced a great cup of coffee from the aeropress.

So... ya.. order it already jeesh!

dmention7

Hater
When I was reading reviews on the Infinity, it generally got much better marks than the 580 series of grinders. Basically the consensus I saw was that if you are going to buy a burr grinder, the Infinity was about the most inexpensive grinder one should bother with.

I was pleased with mine... but not blown away.

W

WhiteSpy9

Well, that is better than wanting to just throw it in the trash, because that is how I am feeling right about now.

Also, the bonivta drip maker is really awesome. You should put it on your list if you replace/want a drip maker.

dmention7

Hater
Duly noted! As much as I love my Aeropress, I think I'd probably make coffee on weekday mornings more often if I had a good drip brewer.

W

WhiteSpy9

Honestly, it isn't that far off from the aeropress. It makes a really good cup of coffee. I'm still getting some really nice flavors out of each cup.
It isn't as good as the aeropress, but it is just as good as getting a cup of drip from dunn bros.

dmention7

Hater
I just meant in terms of less effort to get coffee. Not that an aeropress is difficult or time consuming by any means, but I am uber lazy in the mornings, and for some reason when I'm tired it makes more sense to go 5 minutes out of my way and pay $2.50 for a cup of Caribou than it does to take 3 minutes to make my own. lol