• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

2013 Camping feeler

dmention7

Hater
Just wanted to throw out a feeler to see if anyone else here would be interested in going on a slightly more "rustic" 2-4 night camping trip in a state park or other such destination? A bit less emphasis on just drinking in the woods, and maybe do some hiking and/or canoeing in addition to typical camping shens. I'd like to get something going for late spring next year to hopefully get a couple good trips under my belt.

May as well also start some planning for the "classic" mnmazda camping trip so we have more flexibility on the date and more people can get it on their calendar.

ohsixspeedsix

Owl Exterminator!!
I'd be super interested in some superior camping trip. Like cascade, split rock, etc. Either way I'll probably be in next year.

dmention7

Hater
North shore would be a good idea. Plenty of hiking and biking trails and all that good stuff. I've also noticed that a lot of state parks have group sites that accommodate 20 or more people and have stuff like sheltered picnic areas, but still only run $50-75/night. So if a bunch of people were interested, that would be a good option but I bet they get booked quickly.

AJ

110 HP of FURY!
While I don't know what kind of racing schedule I will have next year, I do know that I'd be interested in this. I can safely say this would not be something for Jana so I'd go it alone. If it's for a couple days, which would be ideal if you are thinking hiking, fishing, canoeing, and maybe even some atv rental as all possible options.

ohsixspeedsix

Owl Exterminator!!
If we decide to do north shore, I could definitely help co-organize it. I used to do a north shore camping trip with the old man every year, so I know the deal. And booking the site right away in the spring is probably your best bet. We could also make a trip to lutsen mountain for hiking, gondola, and the awesome alpine slide. My opinion would be cascade state park. Stayed there many many times and its a great site. There is a trail right from the park down to the lake so you can hike the shoreline or fish. And there are a shit ton of fun hiking trails that go up and down the cascade river.

Picklz

SUDO Make me a SAMCH
The superior hiking trail runs from Two Harbors all the way to Canada, there are various camping sites along the way from state park type deals to just random sites along the trail, might be cool to pick a base camp spot then do various hikes up/down the trail and maybe an excursion to do some canoeing or lake kayaking. Another option would be a Boundary Waters trip if people are really looking for an adventure :) Anyone who hasn't done that really should, it's a pretty amazing experience.

That said we're likely in on a Spring camping trip.

AJ

110 HP of FURY!
All sounds awesome, I've never been on anything like what Matt or Hayden posted about so I'd be fucking in. I'm guessing this would not be a Miata drive to get to some of these places? (Note: hoping someone replies with "bring truck, there will be mud and back roads".)

dmention7

Hater
No, state parks are usually pretty well maintained and there is hiking trail access from primary roads all over the north shore. But unless you have a trailer for the miata you might need the truck regardless :)

Picklz

SUDO Make me a SAMCH
North shore I would say the Miata is probably fine, as Jay said most state parks have access from main/paved roads, and many have paved roads all the way to the camp sites. At most you're talking a small gravel road drive. If you're talking Boundary waters, you are much more likely to see much longer gravel/dirt roads, sometimes multiple miles. Chances of 'needing' a truck or 4x4 anywhere I've been or that we would be likely to go would be almost non existent so all depends on how many hours you want to sit in a Miata and if you want to drive it on gravel or not.

S

spek1098

I've got a bit of experience up in the boundary waters, been going almost yearly since I was 12. If spring is what you’re thinking, I'd recommend going in mid - late May, it's late enough that you’re not likely to see snow, you can be up there right at beginning of the fishing season, and miss the mass of mosquitoes and biting flies that are often horrible in June, but as the water is likely to still be in the 30s it's a little more perilous for those new to a canoe. Personally my favorite time to go is these first weekends in August. There is usually next to no bugs and the weather has almost always been like it was this past weekend, great swimming too, but the fishing is nothing like it would be in May. There is also a limit of 9 people per group in the BWCAW. As for the roads, that's totally up to which lake we decide to go in at. The entry points near Ely or along the Gunflint Trail could be a ton of fun to get to in the Miata, but there are plenty of other entry points along the south side that require an hour or so on dirt roads.

dmention7

Hater
I only selected mid spring as a date because I (personally anyways) want to get at least a few camping trips in next summer. So perhaps southern MN (mississippi valley area maybe?) would be a better destination for May-ish, and a north shore trip later in the summer.

I'm not a big fisher myself, but I'm more than happy to paddle around or go hiking while others fish haha.

ohsixspeedsix

Owl Exterminator!!
I would say bring the miata and any fun cars. I know a sweet road that cuts from near cascade down to a gorgeous lake that would be good for a canoe/beach day.

And planning a north shore for mid to late July would be your best bet.

dmention7

Hater
Alright, so if we say a Northern MN trip is better for mid-late summer, does anyone have any good suggestions for mid-spring destinations? I'm thinking mid-late May when we're past any freezing nights, but it can still get plenty cool. Same agenda though... hiking, biking, boating, fishing and that kind of thing.

Picklz

SUDO Make me a SAMCH
Why not do north shore early?

Later in the Summer = you better start looking at booking camp-sites and such now it's crazy how busy it is up there in the summer.

But really I'm up for whatever / whenever. I also would like to try and make a couple trips next year since Kelsey and I haven't even gone out yet, we are hoping to get one fall trip in but we'll see.

The Itasca area is always fun, lots of lakes, the state park w/ tons of trails and such, etc. Or I'm not sure if there are any state parks or attractions in extreme SE MN but the bluffs and such are pretty awesome, much different terrain and scenery than anywhere else in MN so if there were a good camping option with trails and such down there that might be cool, I doubt there are much for lakes though.

Last edited:
S

spek1098

I'm cool with whatever as well, that was just an FYI about the boundary waters. One of my favorite trips up there was a week long, 60 mile otter track loop we did during mid May that was about a week after ice out. It was beautiful up there and we went a full 3 days without even seeing another person. May can be a great time to be up there, just have to pack plenty of coffee for those chilly early mornings.

ohsixspeedsix

Owl Exterminator!!
Just saying, north shore trip in the spring-not so fun. But Matt is right, if we plan on doing it in July or August (especially a big group) we need to book the site in like... December. But I'm more than willing to tag team organization for that with you Jay, being that I know the area like the back of my hand. And am the events coordinator after all, lol. I honestly think if we could get even just 10 people up to Cascade state park, it would be THE best MNMazda event evar! :)

S

spek1098

They open up booking for State Park camp sites one year in advance; best to book that ASAP. I've had a hell of a time trying to book a state park camp site within 6-9 months before when trying to book for a site in July and August. Boundary waters permits start booking in January for the following season and it's usuallly no problem finding any entry permit you want up untill the end of March, but a May permit would likely be no problem to book, you likely could just walk into a ranger station and pick one up the day of. Sounds like we have two ideas tracking here, boundary waters trip in May, state park trip in July/August. We should prob focus on the state park trip since they can be tough to book. There is also the first camp ground we stayed at in Duluth if we can't figure out the a state park in time. I've used that as a base camp and driving up to Gooseberry and Split Rock for day trips.