• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

Windows 7 over Vista

Big Nate

Chaos Engineer
Would you switch to Windows 7 or stick with Vista?

I can't believe I am going to say this but

Pro of Windows 7 ? Cons?

Vista we all know the fact that it never lived up to the hype but my wife knows it and can use it.

Note give your answer for a laptop and for a desk top.

Last edited:

VTEC8YA

The Story Teller....
From my understanding its still the same core as Vista, just some add ons and more. I myself was kind of pondering this myself and whether its worth it to make the switch.

ZoomZoom Diva

That's the way I understood it too... that is was like a massive service pack for Vista with possibly some minor changes. I've decided to hold off on buying a new computer for a few months so they can do the inevitable first round of fixes when 7 is in full release.

D

DrWebster

Windows 7 is pretty much what Vista originally should have been. It's definitely faster than Vista, and crashes less often, but the interface is for the most part the same. There really aren't any new major features to it; the improvements over Vista are mostly performance and reliability-related. That said, Vista sucks so 7 is probably a worthwhile upgrade.

I've been running Windows 7 Enterprise on my netbook (Dell Mini 10v) with 1GB RAM and it performs pretty decently.

Picklz

SUDO Make me a SAMCH
If you have Vista and it runs okay and you don't have any major gripes with it, I don't know that It's really necessary / ovely beneficial to spend the money to upgrade to 7. Its biggest advantages are being less of a resource hog so it runs much better on mid to low end systems. There's other things that were fixed and improved as well especially around compatibility. I plan to pick it up to replace vista on my desktop sometime before my Release Candidate license runs out in March.

Like Colin said if you are comfortable w/ the GUI in Vista there aren't any large sweeping changes, it feels very similar.

derrian

Pika-Zoom!
Staff member
Erik has been using Windows 7 for a couple of weeks now and loves it. (And he is very picky on Computer stuff)

Yes it is Vista but highly optimized.

dmention7

Hater
You're lucky he just laughs at you. It some circles, liking ME will get you a punch in the face. Well... it would probably be more of an open handed slap. And it probably wouldn't hurt. Those circles tend to be comprised of weak and nerdy people.

Big Nate

Chaos Engineer
Well I used windows 7 for the first time yesterday and I am going to make the switch on my wife's laptop for sure. She has such little pc knowledge that it doesn't matter plus we just had to do a full scrub of the HD because vista shit the bed on her. And I am just a glutton for punishment.

Stealthgator

I've been using 7 since it's realease date (upgraded from vista for 30 bucks) and on my "Vista Capapble" laptop it def boots faster, runs smoother, and actually goes into 'hibernate.' My two cents: If you can get it on the cheap like I did then, Vista SP3 AKA Win 7 is def worth it.

M

mazdamn02

I've been enjoying Windows 7 for the past few weeks, no problems here!

VTEC8YA

The Story Teller....
I've been using 7 since it's realease date (upgraded from vista for 30 bucks) and on my "Vista Capapble" laptop it def boots faster, runs smoother, and actually goes into 'hibernate.' My two cents: If you can get it on the cheap like I did then, Vista SP3 AKA Win 7 is def worth it.
How did you get it on the cheap like that?