• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

Weird noise coming from engine bay

dirtyd

Hey all,

My '08 MS3 was making a very weird high pitched squeeky pssssssp noise this morning on my way to work. It sounded as if my car was speaking in morse code for the first mile or so, and then it just stopped. Didn't matter what gear I was in, under boost, or in neutral. If I were to throw out my novice guess, it was either a belt or very tiny air leak. Any other MS3 owners experience this? Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

~DirtyD

mndsm

I'M OFFENDED!
You have an aftermarket intake, yes? Might be one of your couplings being loose and causing a leak on the intake side.... though it would change pitch/volume with speed... Was it coming from the engine bay?

dirtyd

Yeah, I have the mazdaspeed CAI and the noise was coming from the engine bay. It did change pitch a little bit as I sped up but not in harmony with my RPMs. Then, it just all of a sudden stopped. It also was doing it at engine idle speed when I was stopped at a stop-sign and in neutral.

I will check the couplings at lunch to make sure they're on there nice and tight.

dirtyd

Checked the intake couplings and they were fine. Started my car and listened for about 5 minutes and the sound never came back. Drove it around my work parking lot, parked it again, popped the hood, and nothing. Not sure what that noise was. I'll keep you posted if it comes back...

I hate freak noises....

mndsm

I'M OFFENDED!
Prolly had a leaf or something against the filter, and just happened to be the right angle to make a whistle or something. I get stuff like that once in a while.