Vinyl Request(s)

Discussion in 'Appearance and Body Modification' started by dasmikechen, May 12, 2011.

1. dasmikechen

dasmikechen New Member

So.. I finally grew a pair and came out to a weekly meet n greet. Met mnspeed3, who showed us some really crazy awesome vinyls he had access to and skillz working with. I dont want to speak FOR him... but I will say I am very interested and would like to request some vinyl and/or help working it if that is actually something viable.

From what it sounds like, he is too generous with his time. I personally would like to pay for some assistance getting some pieces vinyled.

So, to the point... I would like a 5'x5' of the carbon fiber white 3M vinyl you showed us yesterday, to cover some internal facia/trim. If you could quote me a price for this and perhaps a price of labor/hr etc, I will gladly pull the trigger and find some time to meet up! My GF loves projects, and we could likely tackle it with her gusto, but I am not as confident and could at LEAST use some pointers and a
    'this is how you apply/remove.'

BTW, nice to meet you and all the others yesterday!

2. Mnspeed3

Mnspeed3 New Member

We could have a vinyl party..yeah. Not the old records kind :) I would like to have a forum invite this summer for a bonfire at my place. I got a 30x40 pole barn in back by the pit, and we could do some vinyl stuff. Make it on an evening when the new top gear usa season starts and I will fire up the projector on a 12ft screen in the pole barn too.

3. niterydr

niterydr Legendary Status!

This sounds like it is full of win.

4. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

It sure does.

5. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

I'm with it, and if you're kind enough to host, I'm game.

6. AJ

AJ 110 HP of FURY!

Yar, LOADS of win!

7. ohsixspeedsix

ohsixspeedsix Owl Exterminator!!

Awesome! Cool idea.

8. Mnspeed3

Mnspeed3 New Member

9. Slim

Slim Guest

Those look pretty sweet. I'd seriously consider a carbon fiber roof skin on my Speed3. Any ballpark on how much that'd run?

10. Mnspeed3

Mnspeed3 New Member

emailing a couple places to see who would give me the lowest price on some 1080. I know di-noc is 1700 bucks for a 5ft x 150ft roll. But that does alot of parts or a few cars :) I took a 1080 brushed metal sample out of the brochure they send me and wrapped my keyfob today. man that stuff goes around curves! it wrapped the rounded end of the fob without a wrinkle. looks and feels just like metal too. something tells me I am going to go nuts on the speed interior soon. We should get a bunch of people together and split the cost of the vinyl. Always sucks when new stuff comes out (1080) they really mark it up till more competition comes out.
    [​IMG]

11. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

If the weave on that CF stuff matched my hood, I would definitely be in for a wrap on the upper bar of my front grill. A roof skin would be kinda cool too.

At ~$2.50/sqft that stuff doesn't seem all that bad. I figure a roof skin would probably be 25-ish sqft.... That's only $60 in materials. But the buy-in is still pretty hefty!

12. Mnspeed3

Mnspeed3 New Member

yeah alot of places are asking around 50-60 bucks for a 5x5ft sheet of it. not much price difference between the dinoc and 1080. 3m owns the market on it which sucks. Really sucks when im only paying maybe 8 bucks for the same size piece in the regular 3m stuff :(

13. ohsixspeedsix

Yeah so I would DEFINATELY want to do my spoiler, front grill, and maybe exhaust bezzles on the MS6!

14. Slim

Slim Guest

If we can find a place to get a 5ft x 5ft sheet of it for $60 I'm cool with that.

I think we'd have a hard time getting enough people to justify a $1700 roll of 150ft of it. Plus, that would all have to be one color/pattern and we got folks interested in black cf, white cf, and army green.

My $.02

15. dasmikechen

dasmikechen New Member

So I am definitely working towards getting a sheet of Carbon White, I think I need 3 feet by 1-2 feet. I may order sooner than later since that size is much more price manageable than the size I thought I needed. If anyone wants to add on to a carbon white order, let me know soon as I may not be able to hold off on ordering much longer. My plan is to do the ugly shiny carbon pieces in the Evo and after some 'finger measurements' I got it down to a much smaller piece, but at the price I wont be buying any extra material to do random pieces in this trim. Anyone interested?

16. ohsixspeedsix

How much do you think it would cost to have the small lip spoiler and the bar-grill on my ms6 wrapped in carbon black?

17. Mnspeed3

Mnspeed3 New Member

Im ordering a piece of the Matte black to do my lower rear bumper fascia and fog light trim this week. I called the sign supply place I get my regular stuff from in St. Paul and almost hung up on them today when they quoted me higher prices then average Joe can get off a couple websites. im just ordering a piece from here till I find a wholesaler with decent prices :
    www.metrorestyling.com

Got my boat out of the pole barn and up to the cabin this week so I have plenty of space to work in there now if anyone needs a place to do parts on their car. Just let me know.

18. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

How difficult is it to wrap parts? Is that the kind of thing that takes a pretty experienced hand to do well, or can a n00b bang out something simple pretty quickly?

19. Big Nate

Big Nate Chaos Engineer

80% what film you are using 20% technique

20. Mnspeed3

Mnspeed3 New Member

Its not hard, watch a couple youtube vids and play with a small piece and your on your way. I emailed a couple wholesalers using my business name to get some price lists from them.