Trimmer for the lawn

Discussion in 'Around the House' started by micahlarson, Mar 31, 2011.

1. micahlarson

micahlarson Guest

Anyone have any good recommendations for a string trimmer? Or any ideas on what I should be looking for when I go buy one.

2. spek1098

spek1098 Guest

Toro once again. Being balanced is key. Most of the handles are adjustable and are can be adjusted to balance the weight and to get the cutting head level as you hold it. You want one that when adjusted to cut level for your height, is also balanced. You may need to mess around with a few at the store, adjust the handles, see how they feel.

3. micahlarson

micahlarson Guest

so is gas or electric better in a trimmer then?

4. spek1098

spek1098 Guest

Always have used gas, guessing on a big yard a electric would be a PITA. One I used as a kid was a weed eater, and now I have a Toro.

5. Big Nate

Big Nate Chaos Engineer

I had an electric one but when I got my gas one I would never go back. Toro brand trimmer.

My nest purchase is going to be a back pack blower for the leaves and driveway.

6. micahlarson

micahlarson Guest

jeez.. a back pack blower?! your going to look like a ghost buster.

7. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

I used a Stihl trimmer as a kid, honestly wasn't impressed. Also, SCREW electrics. One thing I might recommend, try checking out a smaller hardware store. Price might be a little bit better, but those guys are going to know a lot more about what comes in/goes out as a repair than the Lowesdepot type stores. Even better, find a small engine repair shop and talk to them. A- they do it for a living, they know what runs, what doesn't and what's easy to fix and B- They sometimes have used stuff they sell on the side that could save you some scratch.

8. micahlarson

micahlarson Guest

True true true......

9. YSOSLO

YSOSLO is the word, beotch

Hey Nate, my co-worker is clearing out his aunt and uncle's place (they recently moved into an old folks home) and he has a back pack blower and tons of other stuff he's planning on selling. I'll give you a holler if you want to come along when I head out there to check out what they have. Micah I'm with these guys with regard to electric trimmers...do not want. One thing you might want to check out is something new this year....propane-powered trimmers! They use those little green camping propane tanks and you get a few hours of trimming out of a tank. The nice thing about them is that there's no messing around with mixing oil and gas (also avoidable with a 4-stroke trimmer = heavy and spendy) and the fuel burns extremely cleanly, so there's less worry about cleaning the carb out and stuff like that. There are propane-powered lawnmowers coming out now too, and there are new propane-powered ice fishing augers that are the big thing for all of the guys fishing in ice houses, because they don't get gassed out by the fumes with the propane. Menard's just had a propane-powered trimmer on sale last weekend during their 3-Day Blowout sale for 99.99, so it's priced on the low end for gas trimmers and a bit higher than electric. Just something to consider...

10. DrWebster

DrWebster Guest

When I was 12 I saved up and bought my dad a Weed Eater gas trimmer for Father's Day (with some monetary help from mom too)...IIRC he's still using it. Unless you have a small yard, forget going with an electric trimmer.

11. micahlarson

micahlarson Guest

fair enough

12. ZoomZoom Diva

ZoomZoom Diva New Member

13. Jana

Jana New Member

We've got a basic electric Black & Decker (about $100) from Home Depot; we had a Toro one (electric as well), but it broke the first year. I like ours because it's adjustable length, and light-weight for me to use.

14. micahlarson

micahlarson Guest

cool deal.. I was thinking about getting a troy-built one because they have the electric start option for the gas trimmers.