• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

Tauni's Official Everything DISC GOLF thread!

Tauni

I'm confused.
I'll start by just putting everything I have said so far...

LOL ok well! The most basic thing is that you will want a driver, midrange, and a putter. I recommend Innova... but that's because I'm pretty much obsessed with Innova. I would suggest starting out at Play It Again because you can usually find some good deals there. You can buy starter packs which will come with all three types of discs, generally costing anywhere from $15-$25. Otherwise, I would suggest "older style" discs to start with, as they are cheaper and will get the job done as a good starting place. In all honesty, its kind of impossible for me to suggest a specific disc until you start playing and I see how you throw, however I will suggest a few that I think are good starter discs, and I will also show examples of older style discs vs newer style ones so you know what to look for when you go looking on your own.

For those of you who are a little more brave, I'll explain disc number ratings, which at most Play It Again's should be pretty easy to find. For Innova (a 4 number rating), it should be posted on a sign near the discs at Play It again; for Discraft discs you will find a single number rating right on the disc.

Innova rates their discs with 4 different numbers: Speed, Glide, Turn (how much the disc goes to the right before fading back), and Fade (how much the disc will go left as it falls). Innova's speeds go up to speed 13, obviously the higher speed #, the faster the disc will go. A good starting speed would be around 9. Glide is the rating used to show how long the disc will be able to stay up in the air during flight and is shown on a scale up to 7... discs with higher Glide ratings are better for beginners. Turn, as I said before, is the discs tendency to go right before fading off. It is rated on a scale of both negative and positive numbers. Discs with positive turn ratings will resist turning right more (essentially fly "straighter" longer) than negative number discs. I would suggest discs that fly straighter for beginners, as it will lead to less frustration, or at leas that's the hope. Lastly, Fade is the amount a disc will hook to the left at the end of its flight, which all discs do. They are rated on a 0-5 number system with a disc rated 0 ending its flight the straightest and 5 hooking to the left the most.

Discraft, on the other hand, has a single number rating that is usually right on the disc. This rating measures the disc's stability on a -3 to +3 rating. On the negative end of the spectrum are understable discs. Understable is the word used for discs turning more right, and are usually easier to control, better for beginners. On the positive end of the spectrum are the overstable discs. Overstable is the word used for discs that turn more left. These discs are generally much more difficult to control and I wouldn't recommend them for beginners. Discraft.com suggests beginners choose discs with ratings at or below 1.0.

Another thing to take into account is the weight of the disc, which you will find on the disc, usually written in pen or marker on the back of the disc. The weight is measured in grams, and heavier discs tend to be more overstable than their lighter versions. It is generally suggested that beginners use weights in the higher 160's... I started with 168's mostly and they worked great for me.

The last thing I'll mention is the different kind of plastics. Its a little harder for me to explain, so here is a link from Innovadiscgolf.com that explains their different kinds of plastics: http://www.innovadiscs.com/faq/plastictype.html

So now I'll show you some examples of older style vs newer style discs...
Here are some older style discs:
Innova: http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/beast-dx-pi-28.html
Discraft: http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/avenger-ss-d-pi-1888.html

Here are some newer style discs:
Innova: http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/beast-champion-pi-30.html
Discraft: http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/avenger-esp-pi-730.html

Older discs will be (usually) duller in color and cheaper. Innova's will have a picture on them, while newer ones usually won't. Newer Innovas will have brighter and more vibrant colors, as well as tye dye. The same pretty much goes for Discraft. Biggest indicator is the price though.

SO.... for all of you who weren't brave and skipped my novel... I would suggest...

Drivers: Innova Leapord, Discraft Wildcat, Innova Sidewinder, Discraft Xpress (which is actually sort of driver/midrage hybrid), Innova Valkyrie
Midrange: Discraft Breeze, Discraft Xpress, Innova Skeeter
Putter: Discraft Magnet, Discraft Challenger, Innova Birdie, Innova Aviar

Let me know if you have anymore questions!!
It depends I guess on how serious you think you might get.. If you are thinking this might be the one and only time you are going to play then I would suggest a old style mid range as your only disc, but with a high speed. If you think you might play casually a little more often, the starter pack, or at least a drive and a mid range is a good investment. It drives me CRAZY seeing people play with one disc because you aren't playing anywhere NEAR your given potential. I would suggest at bare minimum getting one driver and one midrange, as a lot of people find putting easier at the beginning with a midrange instead of an actual putter. Archangel wouldn't be so bad. I started with an Innova Sidewinder (driver), Innova Leopard (driver) and a Discraft Breeze (mid range). The Leopard worked wonders for me, especially in improving my throw as a beginner. it is definitely a disc I would suggest to anyone just starting out
Losing discs is ALWAYS something to keep in your head. Its always possible in any setting at any course, but as long as you watch where your disc lands, you should have pretty good luck finding them, obviously depending on how over grown the course is. But you are right.. if you can see your self sticking with the sport, buy a few more discs. Its never a bad idea to have multiples of discs, and its always fun once you start playing more to have different discs to choose from and try out.

Tauni

I'm confused.
Ok I've touched a bit on discs, so now I'll talk about the actual act of playing/throwing.

As I said, the facts I gave in my previous posts are based on a Right Hand Back Hand throw which is considered to be the traditional way of throwing. However this doesn't mean lefties can't play or even that that is the only way of throwing. Other common throws are the sidearm, rollers and the tomahawk, which I won't really cover here, as those are a little more advanced than I think we need to get into. The best piece of advice I can give is not to be afraid of looking stupid. It seems like a lot of new players have some sort of anxiety about that. The next thing I would say is hold your disc firmly and confidently. I recommend holding the disc with all four fingers under the rim, though that's just my opinion, different people hold their discs differently. The next and most important tip is to keep the disc low and level at the time of release. Most n00bs tend to go "nose up" when they throw (meaning the front of the disc is tilted up), which leads to the disc flying more up than getting the distance needed to make it to the pin, and often leads to your disc going rogue.

Since it is easier to show you what I mean than tell you, here are some great videos that can help you out.

Here is a good video that has a local Pro, Cale Leiviska, in it. This video shows guys who are really REALLY good and is mostly about improving distance, but the point I'm trying to make is to look at what they are doing. Watch their form and follow-through and listen to what they say, as they give some great tips to keep in mind.
[video=youtube;Iff8S0Q-DAY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iff8S0Q-DAY[/video]

Here are a few other good ones, some with better info than others, some with some major burnouts, but you get the idea.
[video=youtube;aWtmRk-_uag]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWtmRk-_uag[/video]
[video=youtube;XkOE6TAMrY4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkOE6TAMrY4[/video] <--- pretty damn good vid, guy knows what he's talking about
[video=youtube;H1QVLQriAlM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1QVLQriAlM[/video] <---- this video shows the different kinds of throws out there

Hope this gets your game going!

Tauni

I'm confused.
Well I'm bored so I'm going to write some more on technique.

Matt asked me to touch on how to control the height of your drive. This is an EXCELLENT question, something everyone has problems with in the beginning. The great thing about figuring out how to control your drives is it gives you a big stride in your game.

As a beginner, most people will start with both feet planted firmly on the ground. This is a good way to start achieving that control, and eventually will lead into either taking a few steps before you throw or even a running start. So as you are standing there contemplating your throw and how you will make the disc go where you want it and how high you want it, the first thing to look at is how the disc is placed in your hand. How you really hold a disc is mostly up to you (though I will say it normally will evolve as you improve your throw). Some styles of holding the disc are to have all four fingers under the rim, or to have the fore finger along the side of the rim with your other 3 fingers under the rim. Mainly, the important thing is to hold it firmly. A lot of beginners tend to just kind of hang on to the disc, but your hold on the disc should firm, as well as comfortable. In time there can be more specific things to think about as far as holding the disc, but for now just concentrate on having a firm hold on the disc.

Now as you are going to throw, its a good idea to really see what exactly you are doing when you throw, but since I can't see you and give you tips based on your own personal throw, I have a few general tips on how to achieve good control. The first thing to think of is as you are coming through your throw, remember to keep the disc level. As I have said before, a lot of beginners tend to let go of the disc nose up. A good exercise to practice keeping the disc level is to stand in an open space with your disc in your hand as you would normally throw it (still keeping it firm!). Place your throwing arm in a level position, almost as if that is how you would be just before letting go (aka: elbow pretty much at a 90 degree angle, wrist pointed inward), then place your other hand at the same level as your throwing hand, flat out as if you are resting it on a table. Then simply pivot your body back and forth (again simulating your throw), all the while making sure your throwing wrist stays level. Generally, this helps your muscle memory keep your wrist, and, by extension, your disc, level. However, throwing nose up isn't the only cause of throwing a disc to high. People also tend to swing their arm up as they follow through. It is much like throwing nose up, but instead is your entire arm's fault. The previous exercise I explain will also help control this. This exercise is a good way to see exactly what your entire body (arms, wrist, elbow especially) NEEDS to do, while imprinting the right actions into your muscle memory. A good analogy for actions your should be making is wiping off a table.

The last bit of advice I will give is a bit more advanced, but definitely something to start working on. If you take a few steps walking start, also try to bend your knees more as you are throwing. Corey always told me "Keep it five feet above the ground." If you bend your knees and your body, while still keeping your arm and wrist under control as I talked about before, you will learn to control the height of your disc. Corey has also said to think of letting go of your disc no higher than boob level.

So, as a closing statement, just remember: keep your disc firm, your wrist and arm level, throw no higher than your boobies, and just be confident. If you keep all this in mind, do those exercises, and practice practice practice, you will undoubtedly see an improvement in the height and distance of your throw.

Picklz

SUDO Make me a SAMCH
I found this link:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/choosingadisc.shtml

Has some nice definiations and explains different stats and plastics, what do you think of the info they give T?

Right now I have:
DX Aviar
Champ Leopard
Champ Monarch
DX Beast for those over the water shots that I fear loosing a disc in lol.

I'm planning to pickup another DX distance driver since from what I'm understanding they might be a little easier to control first starting out than the better plastics, do you agree with that?

I'm planning on adding a bunch more discs to play around with, probably a Orc or TeeRex, a TeeBird or TL, a mid range of some sort and Birdie I think

Tauni

I'm confused.
What do you mean you are using the DX Beast for over the water shots? Just because it's faster???

Personally, I have always had at least Champ plastic (except my Leopard which is an old styler and I don't hardly use that one anymore anyways). The way I have always seen it is that I am NEVER going to get better playing with "easy" discs. But on that same spectrum, I'm not going to pick up a Champ Boss or Groove and claim I can throw it that well.

The Orc is a really fun discs. Corey has one and I REALLY REALLY want one. The TeeRex I don't think I would recommend just yet for anyone. I have one and so does Corey and it is a BITCH to control, goes RIDICULOUSLY left. I would suggest a RoadRunner or a Sidewinder. They are a little slower but still great, a little easier to control.

One piece of advice I have a hard time taking that I GUESSSS I will pass on to you is that Corey always tells me (because I have a problem... I see discs... I must buy....) not to overload myself with new discs. It is really important to get very very used to the ones you have before you buy a bunch of discs. Now... I won't be a hypocrite and claim to have done that with all my discs. My TeeRex sits in my bag most of the time because I know it does some crazy left shit.

As far as that info, yes it is good info. He gets pretty technical, most of which is kinda summed up here. Plus that is hella to read.

Picklz

SUDO Make me a SAMCH
My plan, at least right now, is to get some more discs and then narrow down what I want to play with on a regular basis to 4 discs or so after I have had a chance to throw a few, thanks for the advice on staying away from the TeeRex, Ill go for a middle weight orc and see how that does.

Oh and I've used the DX Beast over the water because it was like a $7 disc vs $16 haha. But I'm getting comfortable enough to make moderate distance water shots now so that might be a thing of the past.

AJ

110 HP of FURY!
I currently have:

Champion Beast (167) - Distance Driver
Beast (174) - Distance Driver
Valkyrie (175) - Distance Driver
Wolf (180) - Mid-Range
Aviar (172) - Putt & Approach.

I'm almost thinking that my Wolf could get used more for Putt & Approach due to the weight.

Tauni

I'm confused.
Matt- Corey says if you are mostly sidearming, Orc might not be much fun for you, but Roadrunner might be a better option.

Tauni

I'm confused.
If you don't pick one up before Saturday, you are more than welcome to give mine a shot.

YSOSLO

is the word, beotch
The link below is great for finding courses (often with reviews) anywhere in the U.S. I did a quick search for courses within 50 miles of zip code 55432, but you can easily tweek the search parameters to suit your needs.

Click Here