• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

Speeding Laws

W

WhiteSpy9

Anyone here familiar with some speeding ticketing laws?

Got a speeding ticket based on passing a cop. He was in the far left lane exiting and I went by him in the right lane.

Can they really write me up a ticket for speeding (75 in a 55) w/o a radar gun or something to document my speeding?

dmention7

Hater
They can write you a ticket based on probably just about any circumstances that make them think you were speeding. I'd say you have a pretty good shot at fighting it in court though, since the only "proof" was his judgment that you were going faster than he was. After all, a ticket is really just a court summons--the cop accuses you of a crime by writing a ticket, but you're innocent until you plead guilty by paying the fine, or until the court rules against you.

Personally, I've never had the motivation to fight the couple tickets I've received, since I've always honestly deserved them. (and I've been let off more than a couple times when I should have gotten a ticket)

Last edited:
J

JustROLLIN

Absolutely, many times officers will "pace" possible ticket stops to avoid using the radar. Basically they are matching their own speed to yours to verify. But, I would imagine this would be much easier to fight in court.

mndsm

I'M OFFENDED!
Yeah, something like that is fairly easy. If you want to really be an asshole, show up to court. And then ask to see the read from the cops radar (which he won't have). When he doesn't he'll say he paced you, and then ask to see the service records for his cruiser. Generally unless the cop feels like being a gigantic asshole, you will walk right there and then. The days of the cop having to be there are gone, but if you start requesting records and whatnot, they have no choice but to be there, and in most cases the porsecutor won't waste the cops time.

Big Nate

Chaos Engineer
You can try to fight the ticket. Just remember that paceing is a valid way for a police officer to accuse you of speeding. It is just as good as a radar in the states eye.

J

JustROLLIN

I did not know cops no longer have to present in court. I think its a good move for the state as that was always the easy way out.

mndsm

I'M OFFENDED!
Yeah, that's exactly why they did it. Unless the case goes beyond the intial arraignment, when the cop would need to present evidence, the cops do not need to be there. Been to court a few times now where the police wasn't there and I still had to pay the man.

W

WhiteSpy9

Thanks for all the responses... I think I'm just going to suck it up it pay it.

One... I was really speeding and could have been well over the 75mph.
Two... The cop was soooo pissed when he pulled me over b/c it took him a few miles to actually catch up with me.
Three... I could have gotten a ticket on "Lane Abuse"

jeeesh......... What fun is this car if driving it only 1/2th its potential is illegal...lol

mndsm

I'M OFFENDED!
Well, if it took him a few miles to catch you, you shoulda ran. There is no way he had your plate, and all he had was red hatchback. That could be anything.

W

WhiteSpy9

If I would have seen him. Then hell ya I would have been outta there off the next exit.... but... I never saw him until he was riding my ass with his lights on.

Well, if it took him a few miles to catch you, you shoulda ran. There is no way he had your plate, and all he had was red hatchback. That could be anything.

M

micahlarson

1/2 a mile to catch you?! usually by then I try to ditch the cop and then get him on following me. but yea your stuck man

W

WhiteSpy9

Extremely shitty....

Happened right before the exit for 280 by Vadalia(sp) street. He didn't catch up with me for a good 2/3 exits after 280 on the left.

M

mazdamn02

Extremely shitty....

Happened right before the exit for 280 by Vadalia(sp) street. He didn't catch up with me for a good 2/3 exits after 280 on the left.
Watch out for the massive 239 hp and 287 lb-ft of torque those cruisers put out!

mndsm

I'M OFFENDED!
Yeah but the Ford 4.6 has always been notoriously underpowered. So really, that isn't a bad number. They only claimed 240 hp for the Mustang GT for the longest time, and that is the same engine. I figure that that torque number is fairly solid considering.