Some things money can't buy; for everything else, there's Discount Tire

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tires, Suspension, and Brakes' started by DrWebster, May 30, 2009.

1. DrWebster

DrWebster Guest

Driving to an empty Wal-Mart parking lot: $0
    Teaching Colin to drive an MTX in the Mini: $0
    Tom doing a burnout to illustrate what happens when you get on the gas too much and let out the clutch too quickly: $0
    Pair of jackstands at Wal-Mart: $25
    3-ton floor jack at Wal-Mart: $99
    Big can of purple Monster energy drink at gas station: $3
    Hearing a "pop" when driving back to Tom's apartment and getting a flat tire: $0
    Putting the Mini up on said jackstands with said jack: $0
    Seeing what actually happened to said flat tire: PRICELESS

[​IMG]

So here's the funny part. After we got the flat, we headed over to Discount Tire. The Mini had runflat Goodyear RSAs on them, as the Mini Cooper S doesn't include a spare tire. Discount Tire wouldn't replace the expensive runflats with less-expensive non-runflat tires, as that would "defeat a safety feature of the car." However, if we brought them just the wheels not already on the car, they'd install whatever tires you want. So Tom and I put the Mini on jackstands in his garage, loaded the wheels up in the Speed and dropped them off at DT.

2. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Yep, 1 bigass floorjack, half a pack of smokes, some assorted cursing, and an hour later, we brought them to DT....good stuff.

3. YSOSLO

YSOSLO is the word, beotch

I'm starting to wonder if your MS3 doesn't perhaps have a Cosmic Blue basecoat under that black paint or something...lol

4. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Uh, those are the tires off the Mini.

5. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Also, the BEST part of the whole thing... the REALLY funny thing... so 3 tires have bulges in them. We know this. The 4th? Has a fucking NAIL in it.

6. YSOSLO

YSOSLO is the word, beotch

w....t....f.....are those the stockers?

7. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

What's left of them. That's the worst of the tires, although the left front was worn down almost as far.

8. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Well, does Colin know how to drive a stick now?
    Upgrading tires should be a blessing on that thing lol. Stupid runflats.

9. DrWebster

DrWebster Guest

Getting there. Out of about a dozen starts, I stalled it only twice. I really just need practice now, but I also don't plan on trading my car in for an MTX anytime soon ;)

10. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

It kind of amuses me that they considered runflats to be safety equipment, especially as those things seem to be about as safe and reliable as a DIY tire studding kit.

11. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Yeah, safety my ass. even if a tire goes bad, I possess a cell phone and a credit card.

12. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

I wonder if they'd refuse to sell me regular tires if I didn't have my spare in my trunk? lol

13. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Possibly. But your car didn't start with runflats. Given all that the car's been through, 60k+ on the clock, the tires for being shit, held up well.

14. niterydr

niterydr Legendary Status!

All tires are run-flats, ask a fleet driver :).

15. ZoomZoom Diva

ZoomZoom Diva New Member

LOL! Seriously, though, I would be leery of not having a spare tire on any car because except for one case where I would have needed a spare tire there was a catastrophic failure of the tire...

16. 1Kris06

1Kris06 MAD LIGHTS YO

once you learn its kinda stuck in your brain. i learned back in '06 for my job at the time. took my friends mtx hyundia out last week and didn't stall it once.

17. DrWebster

DrWebster Guest

Yeah, the thing is I pretty much understand how to drive an MTX, I'd just never physically done it. My parents haven't had an MTX car in over 20 years, and even driver's ed back in high school was in an ATX. All I really need is practice, specifically learning how to use my left foot while driving.