• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

so how about that blizzard yesterday?

Well let's see...my '14 Cruze is less than 2 months old and has just under 2,500 miles on it. I didn't get winter tires for it and I should have as soon as I drove it off the lot.

I got home from work around 9:30 last night and my street wasn't plowed, driveway was just as bad/worse...wasn't able to line up for a straight shot in so I got stuck. Neighbor was leaving to go to the airport (not sure if picking up or dropping off), but he stopped for a minute to try and help...wound up denting my driver's side fender (can be PDR'd, but not happy about it). After he went on his way I was pissed so I quit working on it with the car half in the street, half in the driveway. Ate and came back out an hour later. Worked on it until almost 1 without any luck. Finally he gets back and hooks a tow strap to the rear wheels and after a few pulls gets it out. I spent another hour chopping ice and shoveling (the driveway and street) so I could just get it in enough so the plow wouldn't throw snow right behind it.

I got stuck in the driveway the day before when we had our warmup...the edges of the driveway were thawed enough that I hit it and got stuck in mud.

The car doesn't get stuck on the roadways, but it can't handle my driveway...I can drive almost as confidently on the roads with this car as with my old car on snow tires. The drive from Blaine to Plymouth and back everyday has been no problem at all.

Driver mod needed for driveway.

k.trazy

Yep. I was out for a drive because I was upset. I came back home, saw the plow truck. I'm like sweet! I'll get in! NOPE. The entrance to my damn apartment complex isn't even plowed yet. I slowed down to about 10mph to make the turn since it's super slippery outside. Made it about 5 feet and I got stuck. I tried rocking it back and fourth, finally got free. Shoveled about 5 feet of snow so my Mazda wouldn't bottom out, no avail. It got stuck again. I called my mom to come out and help push while I'm trying to plow my way through.
After about 1.5 hours of pushing, rocking, kicking/clearing snow I finally got into the parking lot. Went to park and I got stuck again right before I pulled into a parking spot. Traction Control and Dynamic Stability were turned off so I can have some wheel spin for some momentum. Interestingly enough in deep snow that the TC/DS on worked 200% better than with it off.

The following morning I had to move my car so the plow can get through and plow the back lot. NOPE, got stuck again. I installed the tow-hook eye in the front and got towed out by the plow driver. I got round the front where the business were and tried parking in a spot and, guess what? I got stuck again. Half way in the spot, half way out. I had my mom come out again and push me into the spot. So much momentum from going over the snow drift that I rammed into the snow bank in front and popped out some clips. Luckily I was able to pop them back in again, though.

I'm so done with shitty Minnesota weather this year, I'm actually going to be moving to California this year for sure. Mayhaps indefinitely.

Last edited:

Foreverzero89

well here is my story:

after my mcdonalds wisely decides to close early (at 9 pm) we went in rush mode to get everything ready for close and at 10:30 we were done. but that was too late for me, this is my first winter here and i didn't have the money to get a proper winter car so i am stuck with driving the miata. i have full on winter tires and weight in the trunk, but that wasn't close to enough last night( so far this year the miata has been a champ in driving in the snow). as i was leaving st. micheal i was fishtailing like a mofo, but still keeping momentum and thought if i could just keep my speed up that i could make it. nope, not even close, i only just made it out of downtown when the snow was just too high. got stuck right in the middle of the lane so i had to call my roadside assistance, but they couldn't get there for another 2 hours!

so i just waited there and there was a plow guy looking like he would stop, but another car (because of me :( ) made him go halfway in the ditch and he got stuck, so after about 10 or so min there was this guy in a truck and pulled us both out, and pulled another guy that got stuck too. so i get my car to the nearest side road and leave it. there was NO way i was getting back to buffalo, my car wasn't going anywhere and my cell phone had died. the only thing i can do is hope to all hell that i remember where a work buddys' house was. so i walk in the blizzard for only 2 miles, but it seemed so much longer than that and luckily come to his place and was able to stay the night there.

then comes the next day. he has to get up for work much earlier than i'm used to so i get shit for sleep meanwhile, i'm still stuck in a bank where i left my car and still need my roadside to come get me out. i call and even though i'm like two miles away, they won't come pick me up to take me to my car, so i have to walk back(GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!) in the 4 degree temps, waling in the car lane cause there was no where else for me. so i'm only out for 5 min before i feel snot rolling down my mustache, so i go in to this place to get some tissues and the lady there asks what i'm doing so i tell her, the next thing you know, the lady gives me a ride! (yay amy! haha) i get to my car, wait for the guy to arrive but before he does another good-doer offers to yank me out and i'm finally on my way home!!

p.s. i called to cancel my roadside both times.
p.s.s. bunch of people in the snow are douchnozzeles, but you get those few who do help and it means a whole lot, thank you kind strangers!

LOL, I'm sorry for laughing at your stories, but at least I realize I'm not the only one. And yes, the kind strangers are nice. I actually stopped and gave a ride to a guy and his 4 year old kid who don't have a car...they were walking about 2 1/2 miles to BK for dinner one day last week and I gave them a ride since it was on the way to where I was going.

k.trazy

People often don't stop to help others out, even if they've witnessed an accident or anybody sliding into the ditch. Minnesota nice is right out a pure lie.

Foreverzero89

there are some vehicles that pass by that i won't get mad at for not stopping for example: cars, vans, basically anything that isn't an awd truck. because if you stop, (especially if you are in a lower car without a dedicated winter tire) you get stuck, you have to keep your momentum up.

mOjO

SnowBurban or Snowbeast....whatever you want to call it, cares not for sizable amounts of white stuff on the roads

spek1098

AWD = great for creating over confident drivers who usually don't realize it does nothing to improve stopping. What is better? A well balanced car with a very low center of gravity with an amazing stability control system rolling on blizzaks = snow storm PWND.

ohsixspeedsix

Owl Exterminator!!
Add AWD to a balanced car with low center of gravity traction/stability control and blizzaks and then what do you get? lol

Picklz

SUDO Make me a SAMCH
At what mileage did they have to completely rebuild your engine again Hayden?

:trollface:

Big Nate

Chaos Engineer
I hear you. saw a couple of big trucks is the ditch. But my AWD was very useful. The traction control with abs on all seasons never had an issue.

ohsixspeedsix

Owl Exterminator!!
I have actually been shutting off the TC and just leaving on stability control lately. Seems to be the way to roll. Lets you get them spinning and a little sideways but makes it realllly hard to overrotate it. I am sure one of these days I will get over-confident. But I never had any troubles in the MS6 either. The key is to be a defensive driver in this crap.

dmention7

Hater
Stability control is very nice in slippery conditions. Traction control just annoys me though. Unfortunately in my car they cannot be independently disabled--all or nothing. Being able to manually lock up the center "diff" is nice though.

Also, people who can't tell the road conditions beneath their wheels are dangerous idiots whether they are driving a FWD econobox or a lifted SUV. AWD just lets some of them get going a bit faster before they ball it up.

AJ

110 HP of FURY!
The G was awesome. Snow mode when needed but otherwise on the gas to drive through shit! People need to stay the fuck home if they aren't prepared or simply don't know how to drive in various conditions. Slow down, drive defensive, give yourself plenty of time, and when the road gives you space and freedom, BALLS OUT WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

1Kris06

MAD LIGHTS YO
I had zero issues with a lowered car and snow tires. made it into my apts unplowed parking lot. And I was able to stop, open the garage door and make it in.