• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

Post Rating System?

S

spek1098

What do everyone think about a rating system, something like what MSF has where you can thank people for useful posts, and groan at them for horrible ones?

J

JustROLLIN

Well we already have a thread rating system in place. What would the advantage be to individually rate posts?

dmention7

Hater
They two serve different purposes. The thread rating system we have here is sort of like user reviews for a product, whereas the post rating system is like ebay feedback. The post rating system lets you give people credit for useful posts, and the ratings count towards a sort of reputation meter. That said, while I can see the definite utility on a technical board like MSF, I guess it would be somewhat less important on a local board where we all know each other anyways.

AJ

110 HP of FURY!
It's an option that would be easily added and utilized as people wanted. If there are enough support it's an easy one to add and also an easy one to remove if it goes nowhere. I'd like to see more people chime in on this, and if they have ever used it before, not just been on a site with it.

YSOSLO

is the word, beotch
I've given feedback for purchases I've made on other boards, which makes a little sense when dealing with a nation-wide forums, but I'm with Jay on this one. I can't imagine giving 2 shakes whether people think my post is great or not, because I'm not on here for recognition or to boost my self-esteem in any way. I just like talking about cars and doing stuff related to cars, and I'm not worried about feedback or ratings from anyone on here, because I KNOW most of the active members on here so I'm pretty familiear with where things stand. That's just my 2 cents.

dmention7

Hater
I'd think the 'On-Point' and 'Lounge' section would filter out the serious and bs posts.
I think you misunderstand... the ratings would be applied to individual posts in a thread. So someone who is constantly posting useless or misleading replies would get ranked down, and someone who is consistently helpful would get ranked up. Main purposes being to encourage thoughtful posts and to help newbies filter posts for usefulness.

JohnnyT

Maybe it's the way I'm applying it. So, basically this system should only apply to the technical sections, and the 'On-Point' area, correct? 'The Lounge' should be a free zone by the way I'm reading this.

YSOSLO

is the word, beotch
Is a newbie really going to have a clue about how to utilize such a system? I'm with James on this one...useless clutter. If I'm cruising through a thread, I can already see which people are providing quality information and which ones are just posting things like "wow" and "really?" and filler crap like that.

Ultimately, what's the real purpose? Are we making a trophy for the contributer with the most "quality" information? And who decides? And how do they determine which person is right in each situation (please don't say Wikipedia rules all...lol)? Seems like this site does a good job of monitoring itself, and it doesn't seem like anyone is afraid to call BS or nicely correct someone if there's something said that's not 100% accurate. Is the reason for this potential new system due to the fact that we have a lot more threads about social activities than How-to walk-throughs and technical data?

dmention7

Hater
Well, I think the idea is that it's a common feature in a lot of forums. As to whether or not a newbie could figure out how to use it... it's usually just a little stat below your avatar, no different than your join date or post count, along with a little thumbs up/down icon to click.

When I'm new to a forum, I use items like post count and the "rep" level to help decide which posts to take seriously, and which to ignore. It's not about who is right or wrong in a matter, it's about who tends to contribute the highest ratio of content/post, and it's decided by anyone who cares to thank someone for a useful post or groan at them for horrible posts (as Jurgen put it)

That said, while I think it would be a great feature to implement if this was a larger forum, or one that was geared towards technical info more, but I think the nature of this particular forum makes it unnecessary.

Last edited:
S

spek1098

I've used it a bit over there. It’s fairly democratic, everyone decides who contibutes, it could be just a positive, thanks for this post kind of thing, cause the negitive side can cause battles to break out.