Plasti-Dip

Discussion in 'Appearance and Body Modification' started by JohnnyT, Jun 20, 2011.

1. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

That looks pretty killer.

2. ohsixspeedsix

ohsixspeedsix Owl Exterminator!!

Thank you sir! I agree.

3. Picklz

Picklz SUDO Make me a SAMCH

Wow, that turned out quite nice, now I'm not sure if I want to do my aftermarket grill in CF wrap or that stuff.

4. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Both! You could wrap it, and if you get bored, dip it... since the dip would peel right off. Plasti-dip is magical.

5. ohsixspeedsix

Matt I would dip it solely for the durability. But also the cost and ease. I also think im gonna clear coat it.

6. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

Not too shabby!

7. ohsixspeedsix

Sorry to jack your thread JT but I really need opinions on these. I like the look but the finish looks bad when you look closely. What do you guys think? Worth another shot?

010.jpg 009.jpg 011.jpg 012.jpg

8. AJ

AJ 110 HP of FURY!

Really.....?

9. DrWebster

DrWebster Guest

The finish looks decent, but having the one spoke uncoated is pretty wack.

10. ohsixspeedsix

Yeah I'm not so sure. It might be a good idea gone bad.

11. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

IF you're going to do the one spoke thing, gotta do some odd color. Stock looks kinda like you gave up halfway through. Other than that, I think it'd be worth another go. Maybe spray em all the black and peel the MS logos so that only the Mazdaspeed shows through? I don't know. I like it though, overall.

12. AJ

AJ 110 HP of FURY!

Yeah, I think the color is the ticket, do something wild, see how it holds up at an autox!

13. ohsixspeedsix

Is that a yes or a no, AJ? lol

14. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Well after an exhausting weekend at BIR we got home early enough today that I had a bit of downtime. After a bit of thinking I decided to plasti-dip the extra set of lights I had for the Z06. Figuring black paint allows light to shine through I assumed plasti-dip would do the same. I had much better luck this time around and everything turned out incredible. I'm VERY happy with the results. I didn't clear them and I don't plan to. I figured I'd stick to the flat black theme with the side vents and lower rear fascia.

[​IMG]

Braking still allows plenty of light even during the day

[​IMG]

I got lazy and didn't install the front corner lights or side markers yet but here's how they turned out

[​IMG]

Whatcha guys think?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  15. DrWebster

DrWebster Guest

Dude, those tail lights ended up BALLER.

16. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Shits incredible. How many coats did you use on the lights?

17. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Just one full coat - they were plenty black after that so I had no reason to do any more. Being they're on the back too they shouldn't get chipped up. I'll report back later to see how the fronts are holding up once I get 'em on.

18. Picklz

Picklz SUDO Make me a SAMCH

This stuff is really impressing me, I'm probably going to pick some up this week and do my C Mod grill and get that installed on the MS6. Your stuff turned out great JT.