Plasti-Dip

Discussion in 'Appearance and Body Modification' started by JohnnyT, Jun 20, 2011.

1. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

This is some of the coolest shit ever. I just have a little snag I need some opinions on...

I had planned on getting my rear bumper vinyled for quite some time but just haven't been able to meet up with mnspeed3 to get it done. Did a bit of reading a couple weeks ago and heard about this stuff and figured it's completely fail-safe if you screw up. Being a rainy Saturday and having a Home Depot literally a block away from me I figured I'd give it a shot.

[​IMG]

Didn't get any after pics because I was peeling it off :( I read that you should remove the tape 45 seconds after finishing the coat. The only part that didn't turn out was the curving corners that drop down the bumper. Everything else looked great and very even. It's pretty slick to remove if you have a nice full and even coat. The crevices in the vents sucked - easy to remove just a slow process.

Anyone have some tips on how to cure this before I take another stab at it? I did a bit of reading and I don't trust myself to use a razor blade to score it (not big on potentially cutting into the clear coat). I heard some guy used a toothpick (after doing a few coats and letting it dry for an hour)....worth a shot but the prep work this takes is a bit lengthy....and I'm running out of paper bags.

I'm also contemplating doing the front end like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you guys think?

2. Workdawg

Workdawg NARWHAL

Front end is ugly. But the back should look good.

3. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

I think the open headlights and exposed license plate make it look a little busy. I don't have fogs and I plan on tinting the corner lights so it'll look much more subdued than that. Either way, if I don't like it I can simply peel it off and only be down $5 and a couple hours.

More so looking for alternatives here to scoring the outline so it'll come out clean...

4. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Clay knife for scoring JT. Made of plastic, shouldn't harm the clear coat. Check out Dick Blick over offa France for idears. Or even a decent plasc butterknife/plastic pie server thing/whatever.

5. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

I'll check out Michael's...they should have a plastic clay knife. Thanks!!

6. niterydr

niterydr Legendary Status!

Any information on the plasti-dip? (news to me)

7. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

It was intended to be used for coating handles on tools. It looks like a can of spray paint, and sprays just like it but leaves a rubber coating. It can be easily removed if desired and peels off like vinyl. When sprayed the texture is smooth, so it doesn't look like rhino liner or anything. Apparently this stuff is pretty durable too and can last 2+ years with washing and scrubbing bug guts off it.

Other colors are available, but I think you have to order anything other than flat black online. Lowes, Menards and Home Depot all carry it.

Oh, and another slick thing I've heard people do is spray the plasti-dip on wheels and after that's cured they spray whatever color paint they want on top of the plasti-dip. If it doesn't turn out the way you like or want a different color you can just peel it right off. I was a bit skeptical on this stuff but the application is awesome - I'll test durability once I get a clean job done.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  8. AJ

AJ 110 HP of FURY!

Tom should dip the entire MX6.

9. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

It's being considered already. After I saw the Stealthfighter rs4, the mx6 was my first thought.

10. Big Nate

Big Nate Chaos Engineer

I see my inner wheel wells getting a coat of this in the near future. Great thread keep us all up to date on what happens and if i try this I will report back here.

11. ohsixspeedsix

ohsixspeedsix Owl Exterminator!!

How easily does it "Peel" off? Could you potentially create a makeshift bra for your car?

12. DrWebster

DrWebster Guest

+1

13. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

you certainly could.

14. ohsixspeedsix

ohsixspeedsix Owl Exterminator!!

Well that answers part 2 of the question lol.

15. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

From everything I've read, as long as you've got a good clean freshly waxed surface, it peels back off very nicely.

16. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

About this easy - long as you got what Jay said and a nice full and even coat it'll peel just like this:

[​IMG]

You can very easily make a bra for the car. It should hold up very well for that purpose.

17. AJ

AJ 110 HP of FURY!

this shit seems like it would be perfect to spray up on the areas of my car that get killed by cones and the rear tire shit....

18. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Tried round 2 last night. Went and bought a wooden clay molding knife set with a couple sharp points on 'em to score the surface. This time I did 2 full coats waiting 45 minutes in between. After the 2nd coat I waited about an hour to score the surface and peel the masking tape off. Didn't go as smooth as I had hoped, but it does look better than before. Again, the overspray coating on the masking tape stuck to the part I was painting. Scoring it lessened the ragged edges but it's still not as good as I had hoped. I really think the key here is to do a couple quick layers just minutes apart and peel the masking tape off right away while it's still wet. This stuff dries insanely fast so if you have a large section you may want to focus one one side, finish it, peel the tape off and move on to the next.

Doesn't look so bad from a few feet away

[​IMG]

but up close... :(

[​IMG]

19. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

It really would be...easier than masking the sections off and would hold up better.

20. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Looks good to me.... best part is the stuff is cheap.