Picklz 2002 C5 z06 - Das Zed

Discussion in 'Project Cars' started by Picklz, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Picklz

Picklz SUDO Make me a SAMCH

Well only problem with comparing is I don't have much of a baseline, at least nothing I've seen for myself. Previous owner said it did ~425whp before the X pipe and catback, but I don't really know how good the tune was, and I 'think' that was through the 4.10's.

That said - I probably won't dyno till next year when mnmazda (hopefully) holds another event Unless my curiosity gets the better of me before that lol. Just doesn't make sense to pay a high price when I can go with a group and make it much cheaper.

I'm hoping to see ~430-450whp assuming I'll pick up ~5 on the dyno from the gear swap back to 3.73's, and the rest from a good tune + the e85.

2. Picklz

Never did post a mod list so here she is. I'm still trying to get some more details on a few things - like cam specs.

CompCam's Custom Grind Cam (specs Unknown)
    C5R Timing Chain
    Ported Oil Pump
    Fast 90 Intake Manifold
    LS7 Throttle Body (90mm)
    SLP Blackwing Intake w/ CF Air Bridge
    Longtube's (Brand has not been identified)
    Corsa off-road X pipe
    Borla Stinger Exhaust system
    42lb Green Top Injectors + e85 Tune from Carl @ Lancer (Being done this week!)

LS7 Clutch
    TPiS Built Rear Diff w/ 3.73 gears and hardened Output Shafts
    Baer Earispeed Rotors (Front/Rear)
    Hawk Pads
    SS Brake Lines
    Tick SpeedBleeder for clutch slave
    Short throw shifter (brand unknown)

4300k HID low beams
    4300k HID Fog Lights
    Lowered ~2" (maybe more?)
    ACI Front Splitter
    ACI Side Skirts
    Haltech Tunnel ram Plate
    MCM Carbon Fiber High Rise Heat Extractor Hood (Painted)
    Z06 Mesh Grill Inserts (side rear and front vents as well as hood)
    Ronal Modular wheels w/ Nitton Invo Tires
    Limo Tint (needs to be redone)
    Stainless Steel Screw Dressup Kit
    Carbon Fiber Covers for Brake and PS reservoirs as well as inner fenders.
    Black Painted lower rear facia
    Blackout kit for all lights

Brey Krause Harness Bar w/ Fire Extinguisher and Camera Mounts
    Expired Harnesses (LOL)
    Custom Vette Essentials Interior w/ Sport Seats (Pass-throughs for shoulder straps)
    LapTrax Traction Control Controller
    Custom Embroidered Trunk Liner
    Aluminum Gauge Bezels

3. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

That seems like an acceptable range - just really hard to guess since you still don't know those damn cam specs haha. There are many other dyno days than just ours, and even so you only save $15-20. If I was you I'd like to see what I'm putting down with the re-tune, gears, corn, etc. Temps will be beneficial this time of year as well.

You have foglights? Why the hell would that dude go through the hassle of installing them? Also, what headlights did he put on (assuming he didn't just throw HIDs into the stock housings)?

4. Picklz

The foglights are behind the mesh next to the side markers, no idea why someone would bother installing them, but they are there. As far as headlights I'm guessing it's just the HID Bulbs in stock housings, but I honestly haven't taken a look - I've driven all of like 5 miles in the dark, they seemed nice and nobody flashed me, but it's something I may investigate / check the pattern on.

I agree with ya it'd be nice to see the end result - I may call around and see how much a couple pulls would cost me, I just figured it'd be nice to do it with this group as we are generally lighter on cars so it'd be one more to help make it happen. Spring/Fall are def. the time I'd like to do it though for the cool temps.

BTW What oil temp are you running on the street once she's warmed up?

5. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Hmm...I may have to check your headlight set-up. If the pattern's good and you're not getting hassled for it, it'd sure be the cheap way out to get better lighting. I do miss my HIDs even though I rarely drive at night.

I always have my DIC cleared out, but I'll check my oil temp if I drive it this week.

6. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Washed the car yesterday, idled it to operating temp and I was at 145* oil temp. Take it for what it's worth though. What are you hitting?

On the topic of corn - are you getting an a/fr gauge? I was debating on it but I'll need two widebands to measure each bank. Ish. E70 is already hitting pumps though...

7. Picklz

I'm seeing 200-220 depending, was just curious what average was, what if any drop I see just under average use, and then how it does on the track once I switch to corn.

As far as gauges I was thinking about it, needing two gauges though is a major ugh. So I duno.

I'm going to ask Carl what he suggests, I know his TA is tuned for e85, If I can have him tune it more conservatively so I don't have to worry I may just do that. Otherwise if I can find a nice A-Pillar pod I wouldn't mind having AFR and maybe fuel pressure.

8. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

What, no boost gauge?

9. Picklz

:squinty:

10. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

He'll tune it conservative no matter what - but let me know what he suggests as I'll be picking up the set of Bosch's you passed on in a couple weeks. I doubt I'll get to installing and tuning this year, but for sure spring once I pick up the mani/tb.

11. Picklz

Nice on the Injectors, it's a hard deal to pass up. I was considering buying and reselling them but figure they'll work out good for you.

I'll talk to Carl about 70 vs 85 and gauges and what not when I drop the car off - my injectors showed up today so I'll be dropping the car off with Carl tomorrow at lunch I think. Gonna have him pop the injectors in since I won't really have time to mess with it. Hopefully I'll have a cormfed tuned z06 in my possession by Friday!

12. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Awesome! I talked to a buddy and his advice was there's not much sense in spending $400 for widebands. Since Carl tunes using one, and he tunes pretty conservatively, and combine that with the fact that corn is pretty forgiving...well you get the idea. You're likely going to be tuned on E72, which isn't exactly a bad thing. When it turns over to E85 come spring/summer you'll be a touch richer. Keep us posted!

13. Picklz

Actually talking to Carl this afternoon (and this makes sense to me) you'd be better to be tuned on e85, and then run e70. e70 has more gas content and thus will make you richer, going from 70 to 85 will lean the car out a bit. We're shooting for 12.8-13.0 AFR on e85 and I should be around 12.4 or so on e70.

Carl said so far he's been seeing e85 still at the pumps (he's running it in his TA). He seemed to agree there's no problem tuning it conservatively and then just running whatever is at the pump. As long as all goes well I'll have the car back on Friday.

14. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Oh, got my shit mixed up. Carl is the fucking man.

15. Picklz

Tune is done and I have the car back. Carl said everything went really well - sitting right about 12.8 AFR @ WOT which is great. Carl did an awesome job as far as I can tell, car idles great, no hesitation or flat spots that I've found in my little bit of driving so far, etc. Much prefer the smell of the e85 over regular gas w/ the 'off road' setup lol. Did a couple short pulls (goddamn traffic), thing is bananaz lol can't wait to drive it some more.

16. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

:Banane56:

17. Picklz

Quick Update - I drove the car all weekend, was able to push it a bit and it ran freakin awesome the tune was right on and there were not flat spots, idled great, etc.

Enter Monday afternoon, I'm driving home from work and the thing is missing / backfiring / idling like crap. WTFBBQ. Initially I thought fuel as I had just filled up, but I had Carl hook up HP Tuners to the car and we went for a drive, everything looked fine with the tune, fuel trims, etc. Looked like I was still running e85 (not 70 as I thought might be the issue).

We surmised it was either ignition system (coils, plugs, wires) or possibly a weak/busted exhaust valve spring.

Got home last night and pulled all the plug wires off. Wire on cylinder 3 was burnt/melted part way through; 'probably' wasn't causing a problem yet but still not good. Wire on cylinder 7 was almost completely off, not attached well at all it just slid right off no force necessary, I'm guessing this was my problem so I have a set of new plugs and wires on the way.

Also found a nice little present from the previous owner. Checked the passenger side plugs first (2,4,6,8) and all of them looked good, NGK TR55's gaped just a little wide at about .055. Pull the plug in cylinder 1 and it's a fuckin Autolite 103...LOL...some people I tell ya. Likely not a problem but still a wtf moment.

I may still pull the coils off, valve covers off and inspect the valve springs out of curiosity, I was planning to clean up / paint the valve covers anyway and being I don't know what if anything was done to the valvetrain it'd be nice to take a look.

18. Turbotalon1g

Turbotalon1g Guest

shitty, sounds like some fresh plugs and wires are in order.

19. Picklz

Another update - I popped the valve covers off and inspected the valve springs, they all look to be in good shape, they are not factory yellows (was glad to see this), they are just single springs though which made me kinda sad, would much rather have dual springs.

Received my MSD wires and popped those on today and my problems are all gone, car is running great. I got the fire sleeves on the wires and high temp boots, but I think I'm going to pickup a couple of these for the two plug boots that are really close (1) and one actually touching the headers. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DEI-010521/

Also picked up a replacement NGK TR55 to swap out my one lone Autolite lol. Rest of the plugs looked good / almost new so I'm just going to regap them all to .050 and call it good at least till after a track day or two next year.

20. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Likely comp 918s, better start praying before you go to bed every night haha.

On our cruise back from WI I checked my oil temp and I was around 194-199* two random times I checked. A bit lower than you, but not sure if it's really a cause for concern.