• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

Picklz 2002 C5 z06 - Das Zed

Picklz

SUDO Make me a SAMCH
Mini Update:

BANANAZ was not available - not surprisingly. I just got regular plates for now, may get some vanity plates if something jumps out at me but not a big deal.

The trim ring in the gauge cluster that detached itself has been fixed, and the windshield washer stalk that was inoperable has also been replaced. Got a new belt and am ordering a Katech belt tensioner so those will go on either late this fall or next spring. Also going to get a catch can ordered up sooner than later.

Car is over at DRM right now getting a set of 3.73 gears installed as well as new seals, possibly new bearings and clutch packs depending on what kind of shape the current ones are in. Once all that is done and I get the car back I'll be scheduling time with Carl to have the car tuned.

Fugly Fuel Rail covers have been removed, and once I get the car back from the shop I'll be taking the radiator shroud cover off. I posted them up on CorvetteForum to see if I can sell em all. If so I'll use the money to buy a CF shroud for the radiator, no plans to replace the FRC's.

Last edited:

Picklz

SUDO Make me a SAMCH
DRM Finished up the diff - clutch packs and bearings were good so they just put in the new 3.73 ring/pinion and redid all the seals and everything. Also had em do the trans fluid since their price was silly cheap, woot. Picking the car up tomorrow and the plan is to have tuning done next week.

I'm on the fence right now between just having it tuned, or replacing the injectors with either SVO/Bosch 42lb Green Tops or Seimens 60lb units and having it tuned for e85 instead. I wasn't really planning on doing that right away and deciding next spring between e85 and 91/92/93, but Carl no longer offers lifetime tunes so it would cost me $100-200 to have it re-tuned later, and JT brought to my attention that the e85 burns quite a bit cooler and helps with temps quite a bit on the track. Carl my tuner also agreed that it's nice for cars that get driven hard so I'm trying to decide what route to take.

mndsm

I'M OFFENDED!
I'd say screw it and go straight to corn. It's not a car you're commuting in, so the one real negative (lower gas mileage) is a wash. From there, it's only beneficial.

niterydr

Legendary Status!
Do corn or perish to my white car.

Seriously, its worth it. The E-85 burns substantially cooler, gives you plenty of head room at track days, smells better, and with the fuel price split isn't that much more cost. I figured at current prices corn fuel will cost me .02/mile more factoring in expected MPG versus current, but I will have a solid 70+hp more than right now :)

JohnnyT

Save a couple hundred by spending a couple hundred. You're likely going to be maxed out on injectors when Carl does your tune anyway. Granted, I know you don't really have any new mods to put on, but if you have the ability to get the tuning done in one shot and put it behind you, I'd take that route.

Picklz

SUDO Make me a SAMCH
Picked the car up from DRM, all is well and the diff seems to be behaving well. I can certainly tell the difference between the 3.73's and the 4.10's off the line, but its not really a big deal, and it'll be nice not to be shifting as much when on the track. I'm just under 2k rpm's now @ 70mph.

Ordered a set of green top 42lb injectors so those should be here Monday or Tuesday, gonna swap em out when I drop the car off with Carl and then have him tune it for e85, woot!

YSOSLO

is the word, beotch
I'm glad to hear you're going with the E85 right off the bat rather than waiting. This is gonna be HUGE.

Picklz

SUDO Make me a SAMCH
Nobody knows, if the subsidy drys up it will go up in price, but we'll probably still be able to order it by the drum fairly inexpensive. Worst case I spend $50-70 and have the car re-tuned for premium, so not a whole lot of risk.