Newbie here w/questions about 08.5 m3s

Discussion in 'Performance Tech & Modifications' started by zoomin, Aug 25, 2008.

1. zoomin

zoomin New Member

I have recently bought a 08.5 m3s Metro Grey w/5spd. I have done a few things so far....Modified stock air box w/K&N filter, window tint and removal of some emblems. I Love driving this car! Wondering what you guys would recommend for exhaust. I'd really jsut like to upgrade the muffler for a more aggressive exhaust note. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Workdawg

Workdawg NARWHAL

Welcome to the site. I'm got a Metro Gray MS3 as well, mines a 6spd though :p

As for exhaust, not really sure. Most of the MS3 owners here still have stock exhaust with a couple exceptions.

3. zoomin

zoomin New Member

Thanks!! Mine is a reg. Mazda 3 s 5dr....Not a MS3.....

4. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

L3rn 2 r33d noob! lulz!

On a serious note, I believe there are one or two aftermarket catbacks for a regular 3 floating around here. mazdamn02 and spek1098 come to mind.... guys?

5. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Shadyspeed3 as well. Schmitty too shortly, if he hasn't already.

6. Workdawg

Workdawg NARWHAL

Ahhh... tricky!

Ms3 and m3s look so similar!

7. zoomin

zoomin New Member

Wish mine was a speed.....needed the gas mileage though!!....100 mi commute...

8. Workdawg

Workdawg NARWHAL

100 miles? OUCH. I'd be filling up every other day :(

9. zoomin

zoomin New Member

no kidding! I'm getting 32-35 MPG with it.....depending on how I drive. I'm really happy with the car overall. Just doing a few improvements to make it more fun to drive.

10. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

When it really comes down to it, there's not much you can do to get power out of the regular 3. Intake and catback will probably get you about 15hp, but you can't go too far beyond that without a lot of money and/or making the car less comfortable for long commutes.

If you want to make it more fun to drive, I'd focus on suspension. It's pretty good from the factory, but some upgraded sway bars, decent coilovers, and some lighter wheels will really make the car shine.

11. zoomin

zoomin New Member

I hear ya. That's why I was thinking about just doing a perf. muffler to get some decent sound.....cheaper than a full catback.

12. mazdamn02

mazdamn02 Guest

I used to have a mazda 3 "s," which I modified with a F2 CAI and Vibrant CBE (cat bax exhaust). The Vibrant CBE replaced the stock 2nd cat with a high flow model, and was signifigantly loud which I enjoyed, but mndsm and some others did not... It wasn't ricey, but it was loud. It didn't have a fart can muffler either, just a nice 3" tip (think Mazdaspeed3 tip, except it turned gold color...)
    I sold it to spek1098 when I got my mazdaspeed3, he has since swapped engines on his mazda 3 "s" to a mazdaspeed 2.3L turbo DISI... so I have no idea what it sounds like now...

13. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

If anyone has a stock Mazdaspeed3 exhaust, those bolt right to the regular 3, and they sound good....

14. DrWebster

DrWebster Guest

That Vibrant was loud as hell.

15. zoomin

zoomin New Member

Ya, I'm looking for something on the mellow side......but again, I don't necessarily want a full cat-back...maybe just decent muffler for sound. I would be willing to buy someones used MS3 exhaust though.

16. mazdamn02

mazdamn02 Guest

I happen to have a used mazdaspeed3 exhaust- I sent you a "PM," let me know if you can't get it...

17. LASERBLUE135

LASERBLUE135 New Member

personally, I really like a good exhaust note. Plenty of people will call you a ricer, but they aren't driving your car. I'd get a decent brand like CPE and just bolt on the rear section. if you want to go cheap, then have a local exhaust shop weld on a can (I would recomend not doing that). then consider a K&N drop in filter vs cold air intake (either will work for some gains and maybe better milage too!) Enjoy the car...great looking ride and great daily driver...and welcome to the site.

18. shadyspeed3

shadyspeed3 Guest

ive got a mazdaspeed3 catback i might think about selling if your intrested! lmk ill look into a reasonable price for ya!

19. zoomin

zoomin New Member

Thanks for all your help guys. Bought mazdamn02's stock mazda speed exhaust and plan on installing it this weekend. Should sound great!

20. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

cool, I've never heard one installed on a regular 3. Curious to see how it sounds!