• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

New car time for my GF, discuss!

dmention7

Hater
Josh, I never really noticed before that your windows get fogged up for 2 frames in that gif... that's hilarious!

J

JustROLLIN

It's still overpriced, and it's still a honda.
Whats wrong with Hondas? If you dont put a big fart pipe on it and expect it to be fast they are some of the better cars on the road. Especially for someone looking for reliable transportation and good fuel economy at a reasonable price.

mndsm

I'M OFFENDED!
I have a bias against Hondas. I don't feel that the styling, and interior ameneties do not justify the price for reliability, not to mention the fact that they just aren't comfotable. Their autos might be decent, but with every stick Honda i've driven, the damn thing felt like it was held together with sticks and rubber cement. Not something that inspired confindence. I figure if i'm paying 20k or better for a car, it had better be fun, and not bore me to death.

mndsm

I'M OFFENDED!
Exactly. The cushioning sucks, and unless you're a short Japanese guy/girl, there just isn't enough room. The seats in those are terrible. Barely fit to have sex in.

H

Hot Ice

And they break easily if you try to have sex and the heating system sucks for passengers!

M

mazdamn02

so we went and looked at a few different cars (all used):
hyaundai sonata (before I ever showed up they looked at it, ick...)
honda accord- she didn't like the interior
honda civic- she kind of liked it
mazda 3 auto- she kind of liked it, its hard to find a good priced used one.

to be looked at: camry, borolla.

all of these cars seem to fall in the 15k category- should i brush off the thought of a vw? i want to, but can't seem to...

J

JustROLLIN

Huh, I guess my Honda was a completely different experience. I have nothing but good things to say about Honda. Plus, my car was a blast to drive. As for being overpriced, I bought mine used and paid what I thought was fair. I love it, right up until the moment it was stolen. LOL.

J

JustROLLIN

I had one of those too. 2001 Protege LX. I was actually really happy with that car. The interior is about as boring as it gets, but the car ran great and got excellent mileage. Plus, you can pick one up in great condtion, with low miles, for a very good price.

M

mazdamn02

Hmmm.... For some reason or another I think she'll end up with a corolla. But if we can find a Protege that would be niiice, at least they don't look so blah.
I'd like to find a used accord or camry though.
But I still think a new Vdub wouldn't be that bad, but deep in my soul I know its bad news, but its a love/hate relationship, I'm sure the DSM guys here are familiar with the feeling.

mndsm

I'M OFFENDED!
Dude, you're preaching to the choir. DSM=the devil, but i'm still on the lookout for another one. They're about as reliable as 10yr old Hyundai, but my god are they great when they run.

M

mazdamn02

Word. She's willing to do about 15k on a used one, but I think you can get a new vdub for like 16.5k. Golfs (i mean rabbits) are kind of cool...

mndsm

I'M OFFENDED!
They are.... but they're still junk. Your best best is to try and find a used Passat, especially if they made them in TDi. Passats are built in Germany, and are far less janky.

M

mazdamn02

I think it wouldn't be too bad an idea to hold on to the buick and drive it till the engine ceases since she doesn't have a car payment. Its going to be hard to sell her that idea since the 'rents are pushin her to get a new car.

J

JustROLLIN

I dont agree with the VW route at all. If you read reliability and customer satifaction ratings VW is one of the lowest for late 90s and early 2000s. Apparently a number of the issues have been resolved, but I still have my doubts.

mndsm

I'M OFFENDED!
Exactly. But of the VW cars, the Passat rated the highest.

Josh- Smack her parents on the head and say no parents that's some bad parents!

BTW, is that buick for sale?