Lawn Mower

Discussion in 'Around the House' started by micahlarson, Mar 30, 2011.

1. micahlarson

micahlarson Guest

So since I just bought my first house I now need options for lawn mowers..

anyone have any reviews you can give me?

2. spek1098

spek1098 Guest

What's your budget? Thinking tractor or push? I've been pushing Toro's around since I was 12 and now have a Sears riding mower. The rider was a cheapy and needs attention a couple times a year to keep the deck level for cutting even, needs the battery replaced every 3 years. It's about 6 years old I'd say and is holding up well all considered. Toro's push mowers rock, my family's first one was boughten before I can remember and replaced with a new one maybe 10 years ago. There pricey, maybe $500, but like everything you get what you pay for.

3. AJ

AJ 110 HP of FURY!

I've got an old craftman that works slick and it came with the house. if you dont' have a big yard, go for a used push mower and get it tuned up.

4. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

How big is your yard? I know Jay just uses an old skool reel mower (no motor, just push) and it works well, but he doesn't have the biggest yard evar.

5. micahlarson

micahlarson Guest

alright, I have a really big yeard I think for a push mower.. almost pushing the limits of me getting a riding lawn mower but Im' lazy

6. YSOSLO

YSOSLO is the word, beotch

This thing is the mower I recommend to anyone shopping for a mower (unless they want a rider) HERE because it adjusts it's speed to match the pace you're walking at...up to 2.5mph IIRC. I've had the Lawnboy version (Toro bought Lawnboy) for 6 Summers and absolutely love the mower. Some of the reviews gripe about it not working well on steep hills, which I don't have in my yard so I can't comment on and some people gripe about the mower not starting after a few years. Since most of the reviews are 5 star all the way, and I haven't had any issues, I sort of wonder if the people whining about it not starting might be the same type of people that don't do any maintenance, like changing the oil yearly or replacing the spark plug every 3yrs or so. Check it out and see what you think. The price for the one I linked to is the same price I paid for my Lawnboy years ago.

7. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Pete also has a grass roller to make his grass lay right- he knows his ish about lawns lol.

8. micahlarson

micahlarson Guest

Alright.. I guess I'd have to take a few pictures because to me it seems little bit of a larger yard for a push mower, but I don't exactly have the garage space for a rider, snow blower, and car.

There aren't any hills or any real un-even landscape either.

The one thing that I do want is a larger cutting deck, as I actually hate mowing the lawn.

*I was forced to do it all growing up on a 4 acre yard.. every weekend.. totally sucked*

9. micahlarson

micahlarson Guest

So that Toro in the link is the one you recommend? my girlfriend is pretty small do you think she would be able to use this too or is it a little heavier?

10. Slim

Slim Guest

Much to Tom's chagrin I imagine, I recommend Honda. I have a Honda and I kid you not it starts on the first pull every time. Never had an issue with it.

11. micahlarson

micahlarson Guest

most of the honda one's seems to be around 350, basically the same price as the Toro with a few less features. Do you know where I can see one in person?

I am having a hard time locating a place to actually see a Honda lawn mower, but I have heard really good things about them.

12. Picklz

Picklz SUDO Make me a SAMCH

I don't like honda cars much but their lawnmowers are pretty solid from what I've heard/seen, also we had two toro's for a lot of years at my parents house and never had any major problems with either one, but that's been some years so I don't know if they are on top of their game still or not.

13. micahlarson

micahlarson Guest

It really seems like I'm going to have to get a push mower, but a self propelled one based on the size of my yard. I think I might have also narrowed it down to torro or Honda. I just got off the phone with my dad and he said he has a torro and he basically stated he treats it like crap but it always starts with almost no fuss every year.

14. spek1098

spek1098 Guest

Our Toro actually came with either a 3 year or 5 year one start pull guarantee. 10 years later it still starts with one good pull. The model level above the one Pete linked comes with this guarantee as well.

The self paced mowers are easy as can be when it comes to pushing, the speed to goes at is based on how hard you push on the handle, and it doesn't take much force at all to push it down. My son 9 yr old son can push it around, so unless your GF is in a wheel chair, she shouldn't have problems. And dude, you get a big high five if you get your GF to mow your lawn for you, lol.

15. micahlarson

micahlarson Guest

ohh trust me .. it's already being ninja'd up how I'm gonna get this done.. I think it's going to revolve around that it's a great work out. which is totally legitimate.

Where can I find a nice big display of torro mowers? most places I've been to only have 2

16. Slim

Slim Guest

17. YSOSLO

YSOSLO is the word, beotch

I give Honda a big thumbs-up too, but if I was going to go with a Honda I'd have to go big and get the one with the composite deck for around 6 bills. Jurgen knows what's up with the Toros. HD has 'em and I know Northern Tool has Hondas. One other mower you may want to consider is this Troy-Bilt at Lowes HERE. It's self-propelled and has a variable drive and it also has the cool feature of a garden hose inlet on the deck like some riding mowers have. You just hook up your hose, turn on the water and run the mower and it cleans itself out underneath....pretty cool. It has a Honda engine too, so it's a one-pull starter. I only have experience with my Lawnboy with the same type of drive system as the personal pace, so I don't know if the Honda or Troy-Bilt are better or worse or simply different, but since most mowers last at least 10 years or more, I'd definitely recommend checking them out one by one to see which one might be the best fit for you AND your gf...lol If you want to get the "baseball field" look, check out this thread HERE and then google search Lawn Stryper.

18. DrWebster

DrWebster Guest

Having used a whole buncha random mowers while growing up (Lawn Boy, Yard-Man, Snapper, etc.) I'd go for the Honda personally. And going self-propelled is a very good idea. As long as you plan on keeping the mower long-term (i.e. 10 years or whatever), get the highest-end model you can afford.

19. ZoomZoom Diva

ZoomZoom Diva New Member

Having done groundskeeping for 6 years, I'm a fan of Toro lawnmowers. I also dislike self-propulsion (never use it because it makes pulling the mower backwards more difficult), and LOATHE the springy handle on the Personal Pace models, as it makes jockeying the mower more difficult. Big rear wheels is a matter of personal taste. They make straight line movements easier, but turning less easy.

Toros often have the hose inlet on the deck, which is a nice feature.

I think Hondas are overpriced for what you get.

This would be my pick if you want self-propelled: http://tinyurl.com/3kebkuw

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  20. micahlarson

micahlarson Guest

So this is the lawn mower that I ended up getting.

Troy-Bilt 6.75 Ft-Lbs Torque 21" Self Propelled Gas Push Mower

At the Lowes right by where I work they had it for $289.99 instead of the currently listed $329.99 on the Lowes website.

I put it together and pulled the cord and it fired up before the cord was completly pulled.

The only problem I had was the gas can that I bought leaked right away when I filled it up at the pump so I looked like a FOBBY moron pouring gas int the CRV from a gas can.. at a gas station..