Last time, I promise, help me pick tire/wheels

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tires, Suspension, and Brakes' started by mazdamn02, Apr 15, 2009.

1. mazdamn02

mazdamn02 Guest

I promise, this is the last time I'll enlist all of your expert opinions for my new tire and wheel quest. I'm working with a 2007 Mazdaspeed3, True Red.
    Picture of the subject:
    [​IMG]

I first need to choose- 17" or 18" wheels. I like the looks of 18s, a lot, however 17" wheels are less expensive, tires are less expensive, they're lighter weight, and the ride may be a little nicer...

Was thinking about 17x7.5 Rota Boost:
    [​IMG]

What's the best path for tire size, 225/45/17?

I'm also desperately lost when it comes to tires, I liked my old Yokohama Spec2 tires, they were a bit noisy though. I've got a winter wheel/tire set up, so best bang for the buck summer tires are what I'm looking for. Possibly Dunlop Dizzera, BF Goodrich KDWs, Yokohama S.Drive, etc...??

2. shadyspeed3

shadyspeed3 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2009
  3. Z-licious

Z-licious Guest

your tires will determine your wheel gap, not your wheels.

4. Ocoro

Ocoro New Member

If you stick to a tire with the same revolutions per mile then the gap should be the same as well as you Odometer.

5. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Go 18s, get a 235/40, and roll the fenders - you may not have to with stock suspension.
    Those wheels rock, I dig 'em.

6. Big Nate

Big Nate Chaos Engineer

You should get the RX-8 wheels!!! (how big are they again?)

7. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

^ 18x8 +50 offset.

8. Bartron8000

Bartron8000 New Member

I'm rolling with the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs and they are amazing!! Even in the cooler spring time temps they grip like glue, I can't wait till it is warmer this summer. Otherwise for a cheap nice summer only tire, I would also recommend the Kumho Ecsta SPT it was a nice daily driving tire and did alright in autox.

9. Slim

Slim Guest

I kind of wish I would've gone with 17s and dropped it lower with some springs...

10. LASERBLUE135

LASERBLUE135 New Member

Those rims look amazing with that car, 17" with DROP ONLY!, otherwise 18's, do Kumho Ecsta ASX (wear rating 420 and they are very reasonably priced). I've been rolling them for two years now. They are the best of the 3 brands I've tried. I will be buying these again. If you are VERY SERIOUS about cornering performance there are more expensive tires that are a tiny bit better, but these offer fantastic grip. Doubtful you'd ever notice vs more expesive tires. (they are tested to compare well with the best tires money can buy)

11. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Go 17's, get some 245's on that shit, and ROLL.

12. spek1098

spek1098 Guest

Agreed. If your going all new, and are not locked in to a certain size because of a remarkable deal, I'd go that route. In fact, I will be...

I dig the rims in black but am not a fan of the red strip. But red wasn't my first choice when I was looking at Ms3s either, so go figure...

13. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

+1 on 17's and a drop :D

14. shadyspeed3

shadyspeed3 Guest

if your looking for a good tire, decent price that will last. Me and Mr. Matt can tell you to get the nitto neogen. 225/45/18. i got mine for $110 a tire and they have seen a pounding last summer and a full roadcourse day up at brainerd. all ive done is put the fronts from last year on the back and likewise on the back from the front. i should get another year at minimum. mabye two if im lucky. they hold the road like a champ as well! matt can fill in his .02.

stick with 18's!

15. mazdamn02

mazdamn02 Guest

Nitto, eh? I guess I'm a little skeptical, when every other option is ~20% more expensive... If you guys are saying they're good, I'd check it out. How's the noise and rain handling?
    Thanks for all the comments everyone!

16. shadyspeed3

shadyspeed3 Guest

Ha me hear tire noise? lol over my 3" exhaust! sorry. couldnt really tell you.

they are fair in the rain. but yeah their best on dry pavement. my brakes failed before i lost traction on the road course at bir. and i only had one brake fade incident. i plan on running these from now on.

17. shadyspeed3

shadyspeed3 Guest

18. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

I have the Nitto Invo's, and they're BOMB in dry - little more spendy though at $154. Driven in a fair downpour, nothing torrential, and they held just fine (AWD and some extra pounds might help too). I've heard great things about the Neogens. I also ran some Nitto 555s on my old truck awhile back and they were great too.

19. mazdamn02

mazdamn02 Guest

I'm probably in a similar situation, I've got 3" exhaust after the down pipe... I'll definitely be considering these....

So for wheels, these look kind of nice:
    http://tiny.cc/zwGtR
    Rial Bari?

20. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

^Never heard of them, but they're pricey!