JT's C5 Z06

Discussion in 'Project Cars' started by JohnnyT, Jan 18, 2011.

1. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

It's a 2002 Z06 with 33k on the clock. I bought it in May of 2010 nearly bone stock minus a C6Z shifter, flowmaster axleback, and other small goodies like a shorty antenna, partition, etc.

I tinted the windows 20% , installed a Vararam CAI and lowered the car using C6 bolts and longer rears. I found my dream set of wheels on Craigslist - CCW SP500s. 18x10 fronts with 275/35s and 19x11.5 rears with 305/30s. I replaced the Flowmasters with a Borla XR-1 catback and got it tuned by Carl @ CJTunes.

Plans for spring are:
    - LG Street Series headers and X-pipe.
    - LG G5X3 cam.
    - Ported FAST 92mm intake/throttle body.
    - Retune by Carl @ CJ Tunes.
    - LG GT2 Adjustable Coilovers with G2 Swaybars and Quiet End Links.
    - New tires - Bridgestone Potenza RE-11's.

I do have a spare set of all lights and plan on tinting them along with painting the lower rear fascia flat black.

Here's the look I'm after:
    [​IMG]

Peekshures of mah car mostly courtesy of mOjO's and Erik's skillz:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Winter mode:

[​IMG]

Dyno:

[​IMG]

I'll be updating this thread as parts are ordered and installed along with new dyno #'s once everything's up and running. It should be a good time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  2. FunK73

FunK73 New Member

Hope you get that look youre after. Looks like SEX

3. VTEC8YA

VTEC8YA The Story Teller....

Looks slow to me........

LOL BAHAHAHA!!! Nice whip douche nozzle

4. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

UPDATE: Well, I'm getting the plan buttoned up with the boys over at TPiS. These guys are top-fucking notch. They found out the G5X3 cam I was originally looking at has very minimal PTV clearance. They said it'll run, but I'm a mis-shift or over-rev away from the heads breaking off. I guess the LS6's hollow stem valves contribute to this because instead of bending, they snap off. They have suggested a cam that's slightly less aggressive but will still provide what I'm after. TPiS also mentioned the LG headers' primaries are too long and give up 10hp up top compared to American Racing's headers - but that was tested on a race Corvette. I don't think I'll experience that big of a loss. If the AR headers weren't $500 more than the LG's I'd consider them, but the cost-benefit value just isn't swaying me over.

So, here's the updated run-down:

LG Motorsports Street Series Long Tube Headers and X-pipe $1,095
    Corvette C5 02 Sensor Extensions $26

TPiS ZL13 Camshaft - 231/237 @.050 .592/.599 lift 112 LSA $426
    Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade $225
    Cloves Hex-a-Just Timing Chain $150
    Manley Hardened Push Rods $130
    Manley Nextek Polished Dual Valve Springs $210
    Titanium Retainers $180
    Spring Seats $50
    ARP Crank Bolt $29
    Bosch +4 Platinum Spark Plugs $50
    TPiS Taylor Plug Wires $50

Installation of everything $1,100

Tuning $175

TOTAL DAMAGE: $3,896

Other options I'm considering:
    Underdrive Pulley
    160* Thermostat

Tuning: I still have to work this out, but Jim is the tuner at TPiS and he's willing to tune it for $175 (giving me about $425 off considering I'm getting all the hard parts installed there). Now, my initial thought is to go this route because a.) it'll be ready to go out the door, b.) I'll get a few runs on the rollers and c.) it's a good deal. My first tuner, Carl, would have told me not to do this if he didn't trust Jim's work. So, this is good news. I do plan to hand the car off to Carl for a couple days while he nails down the street-tuning side of things. Plus, it'll be free because I bought a lifetime tune from him...so why not? Limping the car around after it's done just doesn't sound like my idea of a good time just to save $175.

All I got for now - should be ordering parts in the next month!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  5. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

UPDATE: Plans have changed once again as my ideas are bouncing around like a beach ball at a Nickelback concert. There's been a lot of background details I've left out for the sake of boring everyone to death, but basically both the shops I've talked to (LG and TPiS) don't like each other and instead of considering my goals and desires, they're simply pushing their products to increase sales. I totally get it, it's just a totally different scene from the Mazda world I'm used to where there was only 2 reliable vendors and limited (but quality) parts to choose from.

Yesterday I talked with a local GM board member who works at Doug Rippie Motorsports - sound familiar? Anyways, he totally got where I was coming from, understood what I'm after, and has recommended the best set-up for my goals. I'm switching shops and heading to BFE Buffalo, MN come good weather and will be getting a custom grind cam along with LG Super Pro 1 3/4" headers and 3" catless x-pipe. I still have to figure out a new catback situation as I was looking at 2.5" systems before and now have to switch to 3" (VERY limited options here).

Rippie's shop comes highly recommended from a few members who are currently getting work done there. One has a new-gen Camaro and is slapping on a 2.9L Whipple looking for 600+whp on a stock bottom-end LS3, while another has a 2005 LS2 'vette and is switching from a Procharger to a corn-fed LS3-based 427. I have nothing but confidence and re-assurance from Randy (the guy I spoke with yesterday), and finally feel like I'm in good hands here.

I'll provide an update once I have all the parts nailed down, and will be ordering here in the next month or so!

6. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

I saw a Rippie car (orange c6z w/ dry CF hood and the most ridiculously overbuilt suspension on earth) out at the Amery Airport run a few years ago. That thing was SCARY fast. greasy tarmac, 100* day, an it was still running 140mph traps at the end of the runway.... absolutely insane. I'd say go for it.

7. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Yep - Rippie's all about suspension. They started with a stock Z06 and stripped it down to the bare aluminum frame and swapped parts over to a steel C6 frame just so that a cage can be installed. All in you're about $150k deep. Here's some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I said...I feel like my car's in good hands now.

8. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Yeah, the orange one I saw was that built. It was ridiculoud, flat tarmac and the joints are squeaking it's so tight.... it was AMAZING.

9. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Welp...it's time.

After talking with Futral, they've advised on a 238 / 240 - .600" / .600" - 112 + 2 LSA. I'll be ordering that today. They said I'd have it in about 8 business days.

Randy at DRM is ordering the headers and cam kit.

Now I just need to get this pig out of the garage...

10. Tuner-11

Tuner-11 New Member

Can't wait to see this all come together man..I wanna see this thing in person, it looks sweet

11. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

I'm still debating on what to do for C&C tomorrow, thinking I may just sleep in and head to MAP around noon.

12. Tuner-11

Tuner-11 New Member

Yeah, I was thinkin about that too but now I have to cover for someone at work tomorrow so I won't even be able to go to C & C..might be able to go to MAP..I get off at 3, how long do you think the event will go for at MAP?

13. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Not sure - 3-5 hours I bet. I doubt I'll stay more than 2-3 though...

14. Picklz

Picklz SUDO Make me a SAMCH

Are you driving the vette tomorrow JT?

15. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Yeah, she fired right up 2 days ago. Roads seem pretty clear and it's a good reason to burn through the bad gas.

16. SteveO

SteveO New Member

Killer ride JT. I LOVE vettes.

A bit OT - my pops has a '10 C6 - he's had a vette since the late 80's, every few yrs gets a different model etc...now enjoying his retirement. He's been in the same vette club for a long time and they do cross country tours - not so much anymore as they're getting old. Anyway we designed antenna systems and exhaust tips for several model yrs and worked with many of the vette distributors (Ecklers, mid America). Its kind of dying out now but was a neat little side thing.

I don't get to drive his too often, but when I do, its just insane how much power is available > anytime. Anyway that's my little Vette story! :)

17. Tuner-11

Tuner-11 New Member

See you at Porky's tonight then JT?

18. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Right on man! The shorty antenna's are very popular - if I didn't have one on there when I bought it I'd be hitting you up for one. What kind of exhaust tips did you guys do?

Nah, didn't make it to Porky's. It was my roommate's birthday so we went out for that. Saw a good chunk of MNMazda guys at C&C - talked to Tom and Kris for a bit and later saw Erik, Joelle, and others. Ivan was walking around with I presume his new squeeze.

A few 'vettes showed up - only saw one pic so far:

[​IMG]

I heard the Porky's turnout was insane though.

19. Tuner-11

Tuner-11 New Member

I wish I could've gonna to C&C but like I said I had to work. I'll be at Boost for Boobies on the 23rd though..anyone wanna cruise together?

Porky's was insane..EVERYONE was doing burnouts..the cops didn't do shit either, i woke up this morning still smelling like tire smoke and diesel smoke..you missed out man.

I think I saw some people from here, a black MS3 and a red MS3

20. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

The black ms3 was me, but you already figured that out lol. Not sure who actually still has a red one that's on here. Jeff maybe? What kinda rims did it have?