Interior paint?

Discussion in 'Around the House' started by mndsm, Nov 22, 2010.

1. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

As many of you know, I'm about a check away from owning my own home. It's a nice little 3br in west st paul. The only problem is- the interior is BORING. Like white wall gray carpet boring. I've been looking at paint in an effort to be prepared for the move, as I intend on painting before we move too much furniture. My question is- what's good house paint? I've looked at all the local lowesdepot type stores, and all I can really tell is I like the color options Valspar offers, as well as some of the custom patinas (metallic, suede, etc). I know Valspar is a local-ish company, and I like that idea as well. However being relatively new to painting a home (I've done it, but never for myself) I don't have any idea what to look for in house paint, and any help would be appreciated.

2. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

I used to do interior and exterior painting for a living. We almost exclusively used Sherwin-Williams and Hirschfields products. They tend to be spendier than the stuff you'll get at Home Depot or Menards though.

I'd personally recommend Sherwin-Williams Superpaint brand for general use. And don't forget primer. If you're going to spend extra for quality ANYWHERE, spend it on the primer. I'd also suggest not cheaping out on brushes and roller covers. They can make a huge difference in the final quality of the finish, especially if you're looking at going for any kind of exotic coating.

3. Big Nate

Big Nate Chaos Engineer

I second Sherwin-Williams. I have used the cheap stuff and the more you spend the better the result IMHO.

A good brush will cost you around $30 but I have used the same brush for over 5 years now and it is still good to go. Just clean it out well and a good brush will last you a long time.

4. AJ

AJ 110 HP of FURY!

I don't know the brand we've used, but I think the brand just plays a part in the color you're going to get, at least in terms off what makes up the color on the sample and how it appears when finally dried. The primer is the key, and if you get those that don't require a primer, then it's the old "you get what you pay for" thing.

5. YSOSLO

YSOSLO is the word, beotch

We've always had good luck with Baer and Valspar, although we spent the extra for Hirschfield's when we painted the exterior of our house. I agree on the primer, although be very VERY careful around oil-based primer! I accidentally grabbed the wrong kind before painting Ella's new room and it was horrible. The fumes were overwhelming with stinging eyes and a trip out of the room literally every minute or two to get fresh air. I'll never make that mistake again, but I understand you actually need an oil-based primer if you're paint over oil-based paint so if you find yourself in that position make sure you buy the right safety equipment beforehand.

Jess and I went with a suede paint in our entry and one wall of our dining room and I definitely do NOT recommend it for a high-traffic area. The finish turned out well, but the walls are gritty and they show every mark and are difficult to clean due to the grit.

With regard to the colors available with different brands, just about everywhere can color-match nowadays, so all you have to do is take the paint sample you like and have it made into whatever brand of paint you'd like. No biggie.

I've heard the latest big thing with painting equipment is silicone. They make silicone roller covers, so more of the paint you put on the roller ends up on the wall and the rollers are a lot easier to clean. I used to be all able cleaning and reusing everything, but now I only clean and reuse my nice brushes. I buy the roller covers in bulk and toss 'em when I'm done, and I buy roller pan covers and toss those when done as well.

6. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

Oh, and I forgot to mention surface prep. Spend some time with a sanding block and some non-shrinking interior spackle to get things nice and smooth.

7. ZoomZoom Diva

ZoomZoom Diva New Member

I actually am very happy with the Behr Ultra paint and primer in one. Dark maroon in two coats.

That said, I will second the use of quality brushes and roller covers. After using the Purdy roller covers, I won't go back to anything else.

Don't forget to all lots of time for prep work like taping and plastic coverings... However, I preferred using a paint shield between the wall and ceiling. I like canvas drop cloths because they feel much nicer than lying on plastic.

I second surface prep, and the abrasive coated sanding sponges are awesome, particularly the angled side. It gets frustrating, as it seems like the imperfections breed more quickly than rabbits, but if you're going to spend the time doing it, might as well put the time and effort into doing it as well as you can.

8. ZoomZoom Diva

ZoomZoom Diva New Member

On the patinas, be careful. Many of them are difficult to paint over if you don't like them or are tired of them, or it's time for a change.

9. Slim

Slim Guest

Behr and Valspar are solid paints. I've used both in my house. Just stay away from the $15/gallon stuff.

As far as primer, if your walls are already white you probably don't need to prime. You'd only need to prime or sand if they're in rough shape.

And stay away from flat paint. It'll show scuffs/marks etc. like crazy. You want something more wipeable. Eggshell at a minimum.

10. YSOSLO

YSOSLO is the word, beotch

+1 on Tim's comments. The only exception to primer on white walls is if you use spackle to repair cracks or holes. Definitely throw some primer over the patches or you'll see the spots after you paint, because the paint will get sucked up by the spackle leaving a matte finish in the midst of your satin/eggshell/semi-gloss or other shiny-type paint finish.

...and to second what James said, PLEASE be super anal about making the cut lines where the wall meets the ceiling and trim pieces, because slopping up those places will instantly be seen by everyone and it'll look like you let a bunch of cub scouts paint your house for you. Not good.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  11. derrian

derrian Pika-Zoom! Staff Member

One thing my mom mentioned to me when we painted our house was that to get at least a Semi Gloss. This is a paint that can be wiped/cleaned with minimal paint coming off the walls. A paint like a Matte is softer, I guess, and will wipe right off the walls if you are not careful :)

12. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Yeah, I don't want gloss, and I know flat is a bad idea, though I prefer the look.

And pete- I'm silly OCD about straight lines- so no worries about that.

13. JohnnyT

JohnnyT New Member

Go with eggshell - best of both worlds.

I went with matte just because I don't have kids to throw crayons and shit at the walls. I prefer the matte look as well.

14. ZoomZoom Diva

ZoomZoom Diva New Member

Paints in general are much more washable and scrubbable than they used to be (according to all sorts of independent tests). Unless you're going to be seeing the need to scrub walls frequently, even an eggshell should be fine.

Also, the glossier the paint, the pickier it is to work with. Any imperfections in the surface or in the paint application become more and more obvious as you get glossier.

15. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

IMO, anything satin and glossier on walls is a mistake, unless you have a very specific look you're going for. Save that stuff for doors and trim. (This coming from a person with semi-gloss on the walls who wishes he had painted before getting all settled in)

16. DrWebster

DrWebster Guest

All of the walls in our house have matte finish paint, with the exception of the bathroom and kitchen, and we've had no problems like this.

17. Picklz

Picklz SUDO Make me a SAMCH

Depends very much on the paint. Matte is much harder to clean and will show scuffs/scratches easier as a general rule. High traffic areas an eggshell or higher sheen will likely be better in the long run, but it also depends on just how careful you are.

I did eggshell in my entryway and office and like it well enough, I just did flat/matte in the theater because of light control and do like the look but can tell it'll be a little more work to keep looking good.

18. micahlarson

micahlarson Guest

if you paint your bathroom make sure you use a semi gloss and a good idea would be to put a moisture coating under it. They have sealants next to the paint isle you can put on as a layer or 2 under the regular coats to prevent mold groth etc.