• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

I want to take off my trim.

Young Roids

Banned
So I am thinking of removing the trim peices on the doors and the mazdaspeed3 logo on the back hatch. Do I need to wax the spots underneath? Or what else should I do onces the trim is removed?

dmention7

Hater
Here's what i'd do... use a hair dryer to heat the trim pieces thoroughly, since they won't come off easily if the adhesive is cold. If any adhesive is left behind, use a bit of Goo Gone or Goof Off to clean off the adhesive. Hit the area with some quick detailer, give it a good coat of wax, and you're set.

mndsm

I'M OFFENDED!
Also, with regard to the the Mazdaspeed logo on the back, get some fishing line to slide behind the logo when you peel it off. Makes life a LOT easier, and you won't warp your all to shit like I did with mine. So heat-fishing line-done. The side molding is just soft rubber/plastic so it's like peeling a bigass sticker.

dmention7

Hater
Know anyone with a heated garage? That'd make life a lot easier. Otherwise, just use a hair dryer and work slowly. Heat up a foot-long chunk, peel it off, move on.

Young Roids

Banned
Nope no access to a heated garage. I can wait on doing it. Not like it will kill be to have the moldings on for a few months. By then the car will need to be waxed anyways now it is still so new and perfect no use in waxing it right away.

W

WhiteSpy9

Did they put a coat of wax on before you drove it off the lot?

Nope no access to a heated garage. I can wait on doing it. Not like it will kill be to have the moldings on for a few months. By then the car will need to be waxed anyways now it is still so new and perfect no use in waxing it right away.

Big Nate

Chaos Engineer
I see this and cry a little bit inside. You should see all the crap on the paint from those “highly trained detailers’ at the stealership. You say it is so new that you don’t need to worry. You couldn’t be more wrong my friend. The dealer ship will use whatever makes the car look good and not what will protect it. You really should put a coat of wax on that thing.

But back on topic the emblem on the back can just come off with a hair dryer and a little pulling. The side moldings are easy as well. But remember that the m logo in the middle of the trunk will have two plastic post things on it so if you remove that there will be two little holes in the hatch. Witch would be bad in the winter and all the salt that will get in there.

If you would like you can stop by my house and I will help you remove them. I have done it to several other cars.

Nate

mndsm

I'M OFFENDED!
I was just going to offer up my garage too. Heated apt garage with access to electric. I've done it with a hair dryer before, so I would have no problems helping you.

Young Roids

Banned
I didn't realize that I needed to wax a brand new car. I just assumed it was waxed already just by looking at how shiny it looked. So do I need to be in a heated garage to wax it then as well? I have a bottle of wax layin around in my garage and I will take a pic of it and see if you think it is a good wax.

Young Roids

Banned
Ok well I will have to take one of you guys up on the offer to use your garage then. I will bring a 12 pack. My car isn't gonna see the road till I get my snow tires though so I will let you know. Thanx for all the help.

Young Roids

Banned
Ok I have this wax in the picture. I googled it and it seemed that alot of people like this wax. So Would this be a good wax to hit the car with right away after I take off the modings? It was frozen however since it was sitting in my garage does that destroy a wax if it gets forzen?

Last edited:
Z

Z-licious

Ok I have this wax in the picture. I googled it and it seemed that alot of people like this wax. So Would this be a good wax to hit the car with right away after I take off the modings? It was frozen however since it was sitting in my garage does that destroy a wax if it gets forzen?
I use Klasse All-in-one. Looks pretty good, protects great!

http://www.autogeek.net/klasseallinone.html

I put some on at Nate's detail day at the beginning of summer and water still beads up on my car now. I'll be re-applying it again once I get my car back and then it's good to go all winter. It's a twice a year application. Good for the busy guy who doesn't want to wax every month but still wants the shine and protection of a waxed car.

J

JustROLLIN

I did mine thoroughly drunk while we were up camping. I just let the car sit in the sun for about 5 hours and pulled the f'ers off. I know this doesnt help you a lot, but I still thought I would share.

Young Roids

Banned
Well I got my moldings off today. I just went ahead and pulled them off with a little bit of adheasive remover for the left over adheasive. Worked great.