How to: Replace the Cabin Filter

Discussion in 'Facts and How To's' started by Slim, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Slim

Slim Guest

How-to Replace the Cabin Filter

Not many people pay attention to the cabin filter on their car. Or don’t realize it’s even there. But, it plays an important role in the circulation of air in your vehicle. Think your car doesn’t put out much heat in the winter? Or cool air in the summer? A clogged cabin filter might be to blame.

Therefore, it’s something everyone should check and replace as necessary (i.e. Does it look dirty or clogged? Or follow the owner’s manual recommendation). And if you take your car to an oil change shop, many of them will check it for you (often without your permission) and offer to replace it for triple the cost.

Save yourself the money! And do it yourself. It’s not that hard.

Below are the steps for replacing the cabin filter in a Mazda 6. Although, the exact locations of things may be different, it should help people with other late model Mazdas
    as well.

What you will need:
    -A new cabin filter (about $12-15)
    -Two hands

1. Open your glove box on the passenger side and clean out the contents inside.

[​IMG]

2. Locate the snap lock on the right outside wall of the glove box. It has a elastic strap or string attached to it.

[​IMG]

3. Pull the tab on the bottom edge of the snap lock out and push down to release it from the hole in the side of the glove box.

[​IMG]

4. On each side of the outside walls of the glove box are small knobs. These knobs are the stops that hold the glove box from opening further. Using both hands, push in gently on the side walls of the glove box until the knobs can clear the surrounding walls.

[​IMG]

Then, pull out to open the glove box fully and lower it all the way down. The hinges of the glove box may slide out as well. No worries you can easily slide the hinges back into place.

[​IMG]

5. Now you can look behind the glove box area and locate the square, black cabin filter housing. On the bottom of the housing are two tabs that hold the faceplate in place.

[​IMG]

Pull out on the two tabs to release the faceplate and remove it.

[​IMG]

6. Before removing the white cabin filter, take note of the direction the air flow arrow is pointing on the filter itself. You’ll want to remember this for when you put in the new one. (Sorry my picture's a little blurry.)

[​IMG]

7. Remove the filter by pulling it out and gently to the left to avoid the metal bar that’s in the way.

[​IMG]

8. Inspect the filter that you just removed. Notice the leaf and discoloration in mine.

[​IMG]

9. Grab your new filter and put it back into the filter housing. Be sure to place it according to the arrow direction from before.

[​IMG]

10. Replace the faceplate by sliding the top into the slots and then pushing the bottom two tabs to snap it into place.

[​IMG]

11. Grab hold of the snap lock/string with one hand, and pull it down and out of the way. Then, with the other hand lift the glove box up until the knobs pop back into place beyond the surrounding walls of the dashboard.

[​IMG]

12. Now, for the trickier part. Using one hand, pull on the elastic string to give yourself a little slack. With the other hand, guide the snap lock into the hole in the side of the glove box wall and push up until it snaps into place.

[​IMG]

13. You can now refill your glove box.

[​IMG]

14. Congratulations! Close your glove box and you’ve now successfully replaced your cabin filter.

DISCLAIMER: Slim has provided this guide as a how-to to use at your own risk. I take no responsibility for any damage incurred to property or persons.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2010
  2. Jesse MS3GT

Jesse MS3GT Querulous

I never even take that clip off, I just slipped off the cord on my 6

3. JustROLLIN

JustROLLIN Guest

Nice write-up!

4. Big Nate

Big Nate Chaos Engineer

Just a note the cabin air filter for the Speed 6 is different from the reg 6s but they will say it is the same.

5. Z-licious

Z-licious Guest

Wow, you have a really clean glove box

6. Slim

Slim Guest

Yes, I do.

Everyone has to remove their shoes before they can get in my car.

7. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Bumping a very old thread to see if anyone has experience replacing the cabin air filter in a Mazda 3, or may know of a site to check out? My glove compartment is totally different than the Mazda 6. I know the dealers try to fuck people over on this menial shit so I would like to do it myself if possible. Mine is starting to smell like a damp basement :(

8. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

Unless I'm mistaken, there was no option for a cabin air filter on the 04 3's?

When I was buying my 05 hatch, I don't recall seeing that anywhere in the list of options...

9. DrWebster

DrWebster Guest

IIRC while it wasn't an option, you can still buy a filter and stick it in there...the "slot" the filter goes into is there.

10. DrWebster

DrWebster Guest

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=96166.0

I haven't done it yet, but I'm probably due to replace mine.

11. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

Interesting. Seems strange that they would give it the ability to use a filter, but not give buyers the option to pay $100 for a $5 filter.... lol

12. Workdawg

Workdawg NARWHAL

Holy crap... that's a lot of work to just replace the filter.

13. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Thank you for the link. I agree, holy shit, that is a lot of work just for a damn filter. Maybe I will just have to deal with my car smelling like a basement for awhile until I have a few hours to replace the god damn filter.

14. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

Well, if the car doesn't have the filter to begin with, I wouldn't have high hopes that installing said filter will do much about the smell.