• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

Forum Mafia Game - SCUM will rise again!

JohnnyT

Looking to get this revived - post if you're interested in playing.

Everything below is from Workdawg's original post:

So, a few weeks ago I started playing this forum game called Mafia. It's a game of deception and trickery, I suppose. It eats up a good portion of my free time at work and gives me something to do when I'm bored. I like it A LOT.

I was thinking about starting up a game here and was wondering if people would actually be interested in playing it if I were to moderate a game. There is a fair bit of work involved in moderating, so I'd rather not go through the trouble if people don't think they'd be interested in it.

A quick overview of how it works:

X number of players join the game and are randomly assigned to a team. At the most basic level (which it would be for the first game, at least) there are only two teams. There are the town (good), and the scum (bad). The typical newbie game setup consists of 7 town and 2 scum. As the moderator, I would randomly assign people to teams and send out PMs to all players telling them what team they are on. No one knows what team anyone else is on, with the exception of the scum, who know who their partner is. (This creates a big advantage to scum, because they are the only people who know 100% what team everyone is on, which is why they are so outnumbered)

The point of the game is for your faction to reach it's win condition. For town, this is to lynch all the scum players. For scum, this is to make it impossible for the town to win. It doesn't matter who is left at the end of the game, if town reaches their condition, all town players win. If town does not reach their win condition, then scum win.

The way the game is played is as follows.

Once everyone receives their PMs telling them their roles (town or scum), they confirm they are ready to play, and the game starts. The game is played in phases, called "Days" with a "night" cycle in between. Typically, a "Day" lasts a set period of time, or until someone is lynched. During the day, all players may discuss the game in the thread. The point of the day is for the town players to try and figure out who the scum are and lynch them.

For a lynch to occur, players must vote for who they want to lynch. Once a majority vote is reached, a lynch occurs and night comes. Players can vote for whoever they want for any reason they want.

Once the day is over, night occurs. During the night, the thread is locked and no more discussion can take place. The scum may kill one player (a night kill). They do this by sending the moderator a PM telling him who they would like to kill. Once that happens, the game moves on to "Day 2" with an announcement from the mod telling everyone who was killed during the night and the thread is unlocked for everyone to further discuss the game.

If you are killed (lynched or night killed) you can no longer post ANYTHING in the thread. You are dead, dead people can't talk.

This cycle continues until one team wins.

One VERY IMPORTANT basic rule:
1. No one may discuss the game outside of the game thread.
1a. The scum players are given the opportunity to talk at night (and before the game starts) to talk strategy and determine who they want to kill. They are not allowed to talk outside the thread at any other time.

That's an EXTREMELY basic overview of how it works. There's WAY more info here: http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Rules

If people are interested in at least giving it a try, let me know and I'll set something up. If you have more questions, post up and I will answer them.

Like I said, I really enjoy this, so I thought I'd share the love.

------------------------------

People are IN:
1.) JT
2.) Picklz
3.) Tom
4.) Nate
5.) AJ
6.) Jay
7.) Andy
8.) Kris
9.) Josh

Last edited:

Workdawg

NARWHAL
Since I've volunteered to mod this clusterfuck, I hereby declare a standard setup...

9 players: 7 town/2 mafia

Town will have 5-7 vanilla townies, and POSSIBLY a Cop and/or doctor.
Mafia will have a standard mafioso as well as a mafia roleblocker.

JohnnyT

I think for townies we had both a cop and doctor for the first game - we should keep a similar set-up to that one.

Picklz

SUDO Make me a SAMCH
I don't think you should count Dan as 'in', as he is just the moderator/facilitator, we need 9 people actually playing.

1Kris06

MAD LIGHTS YO
in if you need to fill a spot. I don't sit in front of a computer all day at work, so my posting would be limited.

Big Nate

Chaos Engineer
You just need to post at least once a day.
This game will most likely go slow at first and then speed up to an immaculate climax.