• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

Detailed my car, still looks like crap.

Young Roids

Banned
Well, I spent all day detailing my car and there are still swirls in the clear coat. I used the ccs orange pad and 3m rubbing compound first. Then moved to the meguiars #9 swirl remover with white pad followed by meguiars #3 glaze with grey pad. Then a wax with blue pad. So I am thinking that maybe I need a yellow pad and some type of even more aggressive cutting agent. I dunno but I am just gonna leave it for now since I am exhausted from all the work.

Jesse MS3GT

Querulous
Was this by hand or with a pc? If so just wait until the all mighty Nate has a detail day, I bet he can get them out for you :)

Big Nate

Chaos Engineer
Not bad news. Most likely you just didn’t work it in long enough. You have the most aggressive compound that you will ever need. By all day do you mean 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 hours? With the number of products you used it should have been close to 8 hours. Each product has a “working time” if you don’t work it in then you are not getting the full affect of the polish. You may even be hurting the paint more then helping it.

You have the PC that thing will never burn the paint no matter what you do. So I will have to see your technique. A lot of first timers don’t work the product long enough and don’t use enough pressure. Both of those can = fail if not done correctly.

W

WhiteSpy9

Same thing happened with my first detail and exactly as Nate said. I wasn't working the product in long enough.

2nd detail took me over 8 hours, but the swirlys were all gone.

don't be afraid to "overwork" the product or use too much pressure. Using the PC will protect you from doing any damage.

I've never used the 3m products, but I know mine break down into a clear film when worked properly. That is when I know it is time to move on to the next area.
Try and stick with small sections at a time too. Don't attempt to do the whole hood, I break it down into 4 different sections.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Nate

Chaos Engineer
Good point Andy. Work small areas at a time. Break the car up into sections. With the rubbing compound you have it will turn into white dust when you have worked it out well. You should only be wipeing away a little bit of dust after your done.

Young Roids

Banned
Hmmm. I probly didn't do it right then. It did take 8 or nine hours though. It's not like it didn't help at all, it really reduced the swirls but they are still there. I am just gonna leave it for now maybe at the detail day I will hit the main trouble spots again wich are the hood and the doors those are the spots that really got swirls engrained the rest of the car is pretty good.

Picklz

SUDO Make me a SAMCH
Also with cool temps it will take longer than if its warmer (65*+), most products give an ideal temp to use them at, not that you can't use them below that it just requires more work.