• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

Coffee Thread

dmention7

Hater
I know we used to have a coffee thread on here, but I can't for the love of Dan's mom find it. (If anyone does find it, let me know and I'll merge them)

So, I just picked up an Aeropress this week, and first used it this morning. So far I'm loving it. I can control how much coffee I use, how hot the water is, the extraction time, etc. And the price is pretty unbeatable too. So far, here are my thoughts overall:

Pros
-Aside from heating up the water, the total time and effort involved is no more than a traditional drip coffee maker.
-Clean-up is very fast and easy
-Batch extraction of coffee grounds--there is less of a tightrope to walk between over- and under-extraction, since all grounds in contact with water for the same time, at the same temp
-Extremely simple, and construction is very durable. I expect this thing will last for years.
-Price: $25 including 350 filters
-Great control over your coffee brewing

Cons
-Tends to use more coffee per cup than a drip brewer
-Need to heat water separately (I currently use a standard kettle with an electronic thermometer, but plan to purchase an adjustable-temp electric kettle at some point)
-Is designed to be used only with a large sturdy mug (your standard 12-15oz coffee mug works best), so brewing into a carafe or travel mug may take some balance or ingenuity
-Can only brew a double-espresso (or one large mug) worth of coffee at a time. Though, you can brew multiple servings pretty quickly.
-Takes a little bit of strength to press the plunger, especially when using finer grounds.

All in all, I think it's a great product for people like me who fancy themselves DIY-ers and are control freaks when it comes to their gadgets, yet favor simplicity when possible. Probably not the best idea for those who want a "set it and forget it" device. Anyone else used one?

W

WhiteSpy9

What's it taste like compared to French press, drip, and espresso?

Using at home or office?

dmention7

Hater
I haven't had enough experience to really give a solid comparison, but the main difference I've noted is that the brew is generally a lot smoother and milder, though still really full bodied. One of the reason is that a lot of the oils are held up in the paper filter, and the brewing instructions are geared towards a smoother cup with less of an acidic bite. I'm finding that I like to use hotter water than the suggestions, but haven't played around with grind or brewing technique--a lot of people buy or create their own filters, and use different techniques to try and get more of the oils into the cup.

Using at home right now. But for $25 I'm already considering buying a second to keep at work.

mOjO

I've never used one... but I'm a HUGE fan of a French Press. 100% oil retention and a bit of that fine sweet coffee grounds in the last cup. That being said... bring that ish over to my place dude and we'll do a taste test. :D

dmention7

Hater
Sure, once I get the hang of how to use this thing properly (and then get some decent coffee to really go to town with, haha)

AJ

110 HP of FURY!
I drink Dunkin Original at work. Sometimes I'm hear early and just make a pot of that, otherwise it's mixed with something a little more generic (2/3 generic, 1/3 dunkin) to keep the cost down.

We also mix it up a bit with Dunkin at home, between orignal and a couple flavored options I think.

I really want to find a mix I can enjoy without adding any creamer or sugar to it.

mndsm

I'M OFFENDED!
Anyone have any experience with those Keurig single serve coffee-mo-trons? I'm thinking I may need to get out of my rather spendy soda/energy beverage habit... and i've seen some of those k-cups that look as though they might have flavors that won't make me wretch. Curious to know if they make a decent cup or not.

dmention7

Hater
They make an okay cup from the experience I have had with them. Though, IMO, you'd be just as well served by making cheap coffee on a cheap coffee maker and dumping in a bunch of flavrd creamer. That's what most of those flavored ones are anyways.

It's not exactly cheap either.

mndsm

I'M OFFENDED!
That's what I was afraid of, stupid thing is like 300 bones. Maybe I just pony up and get some fancy creamers. I just cannot do straight coffee.

dmention7

Hater
Yeah, I would just grab a $25 Mr Coffee and some ground stuff from the grocery store. Then see if you can make it how you like it before you dump all that dough into a fancy Keurig machine.

On the other hand, from my experience, many people who say they don't like coffee have never really had GOOD coffee either. Their main experience has been with some Folgers garbage their mom made, and then they decided they liked the caffeine but needed to dump in a bunch of cream and sugar to make it palatable. And most coffee shops brew it pretty damn strong which can be a turn off for the opposite reason. Starting with good coffee and filtered water, you can brew it stronger or weaker, and maybe find something a bit more to your taste without completely drowning it in creamer and stuff.

mOjO

Those Keurig coffee makers are expensive up front, and then the replacement cups aren't the cheapest either. I'd do what Jay mentioned. Get a cheap coffee maker, some good coffee, and some good creamer. Then brew to different strengths to see what you like. start with small batches, like two cups each to sort it out at first. I have found that typically the recommend amount of coffee, (tablespoon per cup) makes for pretty strong coffee, so lighten it up from that and see how you like it. When looking for specific bean types or roasts, I'd stick with a light - medium roast.

W

WhiteSpy9

I'm digging this grave up with a recent coffee maker I purchased. The Aeropress.

http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroPress-Coffee-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0047BIWSK

It is hands down, the smoothest, mellowist, non-acidic, cup of coffee I have ever made.
For the price of the press, the quality of coffee that pops out (obviously your beans have to be fresh roasted and ground), is awesome.

I picked up a pound of Dunn Bros "sister's blend" and with a little bit of heavy whipping cream, it was darn close to drinking a cup of hot chocolate. The chocolate flavors were so strong. I've never gotten that clean of a taste from a cup of joe before.

dmention7

Hater
That's actually what I posted on the first post of this thread. :)

And yes, I still effing love my aeropress and have no real desire to buy another coffee maker anytime soon.

W

WhiteSpy9

oh, I thought this was the "old" coffee thread.
Also, it looks like I made the 2nd post and never returned for months.

Have you tried using your aeropress upside down w/o a filter?

dmention7

Hater
Never tried it without a filter yet, though I have read about some of the different brewing techniques people have tried.

M

mazdamn02

So guess what guys? I just bought this: The Aeropress Coffee maker. Anyone have any experience with it?