Chips in the paint

Discussion in 'An Eye For Detail' started by Workdawg, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Workdawg

Workdawg NARWHAL

Anyone have any experience with more serious chips in paint (rocks, etc). I attempted to touchup a spot on my previous 3 and failed pretty bad (glob of paint). I've got a few spots that could use some touching up and wanted to know what the proper technique is. Anything besides touchup paint required?

2. WhiteSpy9

WhiteSpy9 Guest

I don't have any experience fixing them, but I do have about 4 in my hood that need repaired.

I smell a group buy.....

3. cosmicspd3

cosmicspd3 New Member

yeah....I just leave those lol. After a couple road tours its like...meh whatever. But I do have like 3 bottles of touch up paint if they get too big Ill throw a little on there.

Last time I tried on a another car there was a glob...I think it takes a very light hand hand little paint...

4. ZoomZoom Diva

ZoomZoom Diva New Member

I've heard using a nail to drip a very small amount is supposed to work. It didn't for me! I've given up on trying to fix them!

5. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

The "proper" technique involved laying down very small amounts of touchup paint until the surface of the repair is just above the surrounding paint. Then wet sanding and polishing until the spot blends in.

Personally, I've never been confident enough to apply sandpaper to my paint, so I've always just carefully added very small amounts of paint to the chip until it's built up to around the surrounding paint, and called it good.

6. Big Nate

Big Nate Chaos Engineer

Chip repair Is an art. Jay is correct about the wet sanding and polishing. But often the touch up paint will break out of the chip and fall out. I for one just leave them and stop worried about what I can do to fix them. I have hear rumblings of people finding a paint pen that matches (or at least is very close) the paint and using the with a little more luck the the dollop method.

7. WhiteSpy9

WhiteSpy9 Guest

SHARPIES FTMFW!

8. Big Nate

Big Nate Chaos Engineer

I use a sharpie It makes the chips far less noticeable.

9. Workdawg

Workdawg NARWHAL

I didn't really think anything of it until I noticed one rather large gouge on the roof was starting to get a tiny bit of surface rust, so that NEEDS to get fixed up.

10. ZoomZoom Diva

ZoomZoom Diva New Member

The question is how do you lay down the very small amounts of touch-up paint? I have never been successful at doing this.

11. YSOSLO

YSOSLO is the word, beotch

I've touched up a few spots on mine and it takes a lot of patience and frequently putting the bristles of the applicator brush back into the top of the touch-up paint bottle to remove excess paid that continuously drips down onto the bristles from the plastic handle.