Chain link fencing

Discussion in 'Around the House' started by AJ, Apr 20, 2011.

1. AJ

AJ 110 HP of FURY!

Anyone ever done it themselves?

We goa quote yesterday from Midwest Fence, and to do a 18ft section with a gate, to finish enclosing the back yard for the dog, it's gonna run $700.

I was looking at the matierals, and I think there is enough info online to do this, it's just a bit of time needed to get it done.

Other option would be dropping the hammer now and just doing a complete privacy fence, but that is gonna be spendy as fawt from what I can tell.

2. Big Nate

Big Nate Chaos Engineer

We used North Star Fence for ours. We have a 4' black coated chain link fence. $2200 for three gates and over 150' of fence. He charges by how many start and stop points you have. Great guy and great service. he even left me a back of black ties to fix any spots that break (away from the post not the fence itself) from balls hitting them or kids pulling on it.

LINK

3. AJ

AJ 110 HP of FURY!

Thanks Nate, just requested some info from them!

4. Big Nate

Big Nate Chaos Engineer

Use my name a reference I think I get money and you get a discount if you do that. Can't remember if they do that. Tell him my name and the house in Coon Rapids Off Flintwood St

5. AJ

AJ 110 HP of FURY!

Will do!

6. micahlarson

micahlarson Guest

hmmm I'd think about a chain link also, but I don't know if amy will go for it since they aren't "pretty"

7. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

Paint that shit pink and get flower shaped post ends.

8. micahlarson

micahlarson Guest

she wants like a privacy fence which is like hella expensive.

9. YSOSLO

YSOSLO is the word, beotch

The black vinyl-coated fencing like Nate has pretty much disappears against a grassy background, so "ugly" depends on how obvious the fencing is IMO. I did a chainlink fence in my second house and it seems like it ran about $3K for 2 of 3 sides of a pretty big backyard (one neighbor had a chainlink fence already) and I went with a "light commercial" grade fence. You can buy the materials at Menards or something, but the top rails will be 1" diameter versus 1 1/2" that I had. If you aren't planning on staying in the house for more than 5yrs, then go light and DIY if you're comfortable doing it. If you're going to be there for 10+ years, then spend more to do it right, but fencing quality isn't a major deal for many homebuyers...as long as something is there, they're okay with it, but you probably aren't going to get your money back out of it if you sell soon.

10. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

You ain't married, do what the hell you wanna do.

11. micahlarson

micahlarson Guest

very true tom.. I just want a fence so I can have a dog : )

12. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Get yer chain link on then, and get with the dog having.