bullets n stuff

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AJ, Jan 21, 2012.

1. AJ

AJ 110 HP of FURY!

Went to Bills bring and early this morning with Jana and rocked a Walther P22 & Beretta 92FS for a bit. Was a fun time, and my first time with any gun in a long as time, first time in general with a 9mm or a 22 pistol. Jana never fired a gun before today either. Looking forward to going back to try some more out.

Here's the target:

[​IMG]

2. Picklz

Picklz SUDO Make me a SAMCH

I bought a P22 a month or two ago, really impressed with it for the money its a great little pistol for target shooting. if you guys want to go sometime let me know, you're welcome to shoot my 45 or 22 if you buy ammo (cheaper places other than @ Bills).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  3. AJ

AJ 110 HP of FURY!

I'm going to look over some 9mm's over time, not sure what I will want to buy, just know that I need to look into a class before I can do anything I think, as far as buying a gun. The P22 was a solid gun for rapid fire, though I didn't like the # of bullets in a round.

4. Picklz

9mm's are nice all around guns, I very well may buy one of the high cap XD 9mm's that hold 17 or 18 rounds in a mag. I agree the one thing I didn't like about the P22 was only 10 rounds in a mag, and there aren't many options for higher capacity. You can change the follower out for 12 or 13 rounds but then you loose the slide-lock-back feature when empty. But just buying 3-4 mags works well enough.

If you like 9mm I'd recommend trying a glock and a XD9 of some flavor, I prefer the XD's for a number of reasons but both are nice guns. Springfield makes a more traditional metal frame 9mm (cant remember the model off hand) that I liked quite a bit.

My next gun will probably be one of either a 9mm calico pistol, a high-cap 9mm XD, or a 1911 45

If you think you may want to buy one you need to apply for a permit to purchase at your local police station (free) takes a week or so to get usually, or if you got to a conceal & carry class and pass that / apply for and obtain a Permit to Carry that doubles as a permit to purchase as well and lasts for I think it's 5 years instead of 1.

The 'date night' thing Kelsey and I did with sealed mindset was pretty solid, they wrap up some soliid training and information into fun theme type nights.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  5. AJ

AJ 110 HP of FURY!

What are some other options for shooting around here? Bills was just shy of $100 for two rentals, box of ammo for each, and the ear/eye protection with one target. That can add up quickly, so if shooting options are limited, I may not go much farther than a P22 or similar we can share.

Soon though I want to run though an MP5. :)

6. ohsixspeedsix

ohsixspeedsix Owl Exterminator!!

I'll tag along next time. :D I'll bring the hk45. And the reuger 22

7. Picklz

I'm not sure what's around for indoor other than Bills to be honest, I just always go to Bills. The rental and buying ammo from them add's up quick. Range alone is $25 for 1 person or $30 if shared w/ 2 which isn't all that bad for many hours of shooting. Your best bet is to go when they have their shooting show, I think this spring, rental on handguns is free then you just have to buy the ammo. Nice way to find out what you might actually want to buy.

The ammo even if you get a deal on it add's up quick though if you're shooting 9mm, .40, 45 etc. I just got a 250 round box of .45 acp for $90 which was a great price, but that's still $.36 per round. It's nice having both the .22 and something like my .45 as I can shoot 3-4 mags worth of .45 then just plink away hundreds of rounds of .22 and not have it cost all that much.

8. ohsixspeedsix

ohsixspeedsix Owl Exterminator!!

There is a indoor range in burnsville. But it's a haul for you guys lol.

9. AJ

AJ 110 HP of FURY!

I might try and go next weekend, early again, if anyone is up for it.

10. spek1098

spek1098 Guest

There's a place north of 694 just off of 35w nears Mounds View that we had a small meet at several years back. Don't remember the prices, reasonable I believe. No guns for me yet, but after trying several models of 9mm, .22, .40, and .45s, I think my first purchase will be a XD40.

11. Picklz

I've had my XD45c for probably 3-4 years now, maybe more and I've loved every second of it, not one FTF or FTE so far! I think I was at that place off 35w in Moundsview quite some time ago, I can't recall the name though, going to have to see if I can find that on google.

12. Big Nate

Big Nate Chaos Engineer

My wife and I went to Bill's this weekend. Very fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and some rounds with the AR The scope was not set up for shooting with the ears on though so it was very hard to use. So I just kinda sprayed some rounds at the target here that's why it is so close.

[​IMG]

I only rented a 380 for the wife the rest of the guns are from friends that went with us.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  13. mazdamn02

mazdamn02 Guest

Burnsville pistol range is nice. Select gander mountains have indoor ranges as well. They don't offer rentals if I recall correctly. I rock a Ruger SR9C which I like quite a bit, it comes with a very concealable 10 round mag as well as a 18 round mag for high capacity fun. I've got a s&w bodyguard 380 as well, the dao trigger is a really long pull though so it isn't much fun for the range...

14. AJ

AJ 110 HP of FURY!

Bumping this back up. Turned in my P2P yesterday so Jana and I can look at getting a p22 for the two of us to use and then I'll continue to look more at the 9mm options.

For now I'm looking at ordering up a fun .22lr, either an UZI Rimfire or MP5 based. I've been looking a lot here http://www.budsgunshop.com
    I want to go to a few local shows to check out some real ARs though soon as well. You, for the zombies.

15. Picklz

Actual AR's are a lot of fun, and I kind of miss mine. I may end up getting another one eventually, the problem with them tough is ammo get's expensive fast, especially when you can shoot through 30 round mags in no time flat. Check around online if you end up ordering from Buds or somewhere out of state, usually you can find people who can do the FFL transfer pretty cheap - quite a bit less than a lot of the larger shops will charge, figure that into the cost online vs local. If you guys get a gun or two and want to go shooting some morning or afternoon let Kelsey and I know we might be game to join.

16. AJ

AJ 110 HP of FURY!

yeah, I want an AR, but the .22lr is where the play for less comes into play big time. I was thinking of just using Bills for the FFL, but I'm going to check around as well.

17. mazdamn02

mazdamn02 Guest

When you're ready to get serious about ARs check out Element Arms in Becker, MN. It is the Mecca of ARs! Excellent selection and great pricing.

We should get a trip to the range added to the events calendar.

18. Picklz

DPMS is a local company that makes AR's as well - always nice to support the local guys!

19. mazdamn02

mazdamn02 Guest

DPMS? Oh you mean "Didn't pass mil-spec?"

:trollface:

20. AJ

AJ 110 HP of FURY!

links guys link, lol. I'll spend an extra $20 to buy local for sure.