Built me a tire rack

Discussion in 'Around the House' started by dmention7, Oct 18, 2010.

1. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

In the grand scheme of things it's nothing too special, but I thought I'd post up a couple of pics in case anyone else was planning something similar. Plus most of my DIY constructions end up on the sketchy side so I was pretty proud of how it came out. lol

I made a slight measurement error, so the shelves are just barely spaced far enough apart for my summer wheels to fit in, but it'll be pretty easy to just lower the bottom shelf if I ever own any taller wheels. The racks are wide enough that anything up to a set of 9.5" wide wheels should fit just fine. Best part is, with a couple sheets of particle board, the unused racks make nice sturdy shelves.

Attached Files:

2. mndsm

mndsm I'M OFFENDED!

Looks awesome.

3. VTEC8YA

VTEC8YA The Story Teller....

Totally Radical.

4. AJ

AJ 110 HP of FURY!

Nicely Done!

I'll probably do something similar if I ever get a set or two extra for the Miata.

5. YSOSLO

YSOSLO is the word, beotch

Great design Jay! Did you come up with that on your own, or did you find a design online or something? The carriage bolts were smart and the extra spacer to keep the black tire marks off the back wall of the rack is perfect.

6. dmention7

dmention7 Hater

I got the basic design from a project on instructables.com, but I went a slightly different route to keep things modular, easy to assemble, and easy to modify in the future. And yeah, I used long lag screws and carriage bolts. Last thing I want is for the damn thing to fall apart and send wheels crashing into my car. lol