• We have updated to the newest version of the forum. Please let us know if you see any issues. And, yes, we know the shoutbox is gone. We'll see about getting it back if they make a newer version.

Balance Shaft Delete? yes or no

Big Nate

Chaos Engineer
I have been bored at work and came across this and want to know what you guys think.

how to thread

Parts You will need both the shaft delete kit and the oil sump baffle.

I didn't want to clutter up there thread with a lot of noob questions so I thought I could post here and see what you guys know.

JohnnyT

I'm up for doing this too, good way to kill a Saturday.

I've done a fair bit of research on this too, and it seems like a great fail-safe mod. Also frees up nearly 20 pounds of useless metal.

dmention7

Hater
I did it on my regular 3, and to be quite honest, there was little/no noticable difference. But like JT said... good way to kill a saturday afternoon, and you can be satisfied that you're ditching some rotating and stationary mass. Plus, adding the oilpan baffle is probably a good idea anyways, and as long as you've got the oilpan dropped, may as well yank the balance shaft... hehe

Also, protegegarage has an oilpan baffle for the MS3/6 as well.

Big Nate

Chaos Engineer
I hate Ken from PG with a passion. So I would pay more if I didn't buy it from him. But I am still getting the price to see if other places will match it.

Big Nate

Chaos Engineer
Good link JT.

I think my 5 year old son could have made a better site then that one though. But it is cheaper.

JohnnyT

HAHA I know..I'd be real sketchy from ordering there if I hadn't found them through MSF.org.

I smell a BSD meet...

S

Slim

Just an FYI, I looked at it with my 6 and some people complained of increased vibration after the BSD.

dmention7

Hater
Just an FYI, I looked at it with my 6 and some people complained of increased vibration after the BSD.
That's to be expected, since the purpose of the balance shaft is to prevent certain resonances from being transmitted out of the block and into the chassis. IIRC, it was most notable at ~1100 and 2200 rpms. I couldn't tell the difference while driving the car (even with a solid rear mount), but if you put the car in neutral, open the door, and slowly rev the motor past these speeds, you could feel a bit of vibration being transmitted through the door frame.

Which is to say, the increase in vibration from the BSD is minute compared to even the softest aftermarket motor mounts.