2009 Mazda 6

Discussion in 'Reviews Galore' started by AJ, Apr 26, 2008.

1. AJ

AJ 110 HP of FURY!

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=upcomingMAZDA6&bhcp=1&?providertag=MazdaSEM&servicetag=NationalMazda6Handraiser&sem=1&s_kwcid=2009%20mazda%206|1486771873

Rear view pic: Hot, love the stance.

Then I look at the front, fuck'n screams PT Cruiser.

2. ij1889

ij1889 New Member

to me i love it, it looks great, it looks luxurious and sporty, and more hp, yeah thats good

but what i hate about it, no manual in the 3.7 engine, and its bigger than the original 6

3. DrWebster

DrWebster Guest

I wish we were getting the Euro 6, it looks better. Like AJ said, the back end is nice, but the nose is ugly.

In other news, the 2009 RX-8 refresh doesn't look bad...I like what they did to the front end.

4. JustROLLIN

JustROLLIN Guest

I dont really care for it. Reminds me of the Saturn Aura.

5. ZoomZoom Diva

ZoomZoom Diva New Member

As far as I'm concerned, this car has been ruined in the attempt to chase the mainstream.

I actually think the car looks decent, although I would need to see it in person to confirm. My issues with the car are FAR more serious than cosmetic ones. Mazda is indicating the car will be sold as a sedan only. This is a major take-away from the practicality of the car, and I absolutely love the 5-door body style. Even worse, and a fatal design flaw, is the fact the V6 will not be available with a MTX. Sorry, but I am not willing to demote myself from a V6 engine, as the I4 even with the extra displacement simply lacks the level of power I need as well as suffers in the timbre department.

The car is also being promised as being larger and roomier than the EU/JDM model. The EU/JDM model already grew nearly 3" compared to the current generation. That would have a NA model approaching 190" if it was simply the same amount longer in the 2nd gen as it was in the first gen... already approaching the dangerously enormous point. To be larger in any substantive way, it is likely a few inches larger than that, definitely in bloated land yacht territory.

Overall, it promises to look decent, but also threatens to be the antithesis of the ZoomZoom reputation Mazda has built over the last several years.

6. StealthSpeed3

StealthSpeed3 Charge THIS!!

took one for a drive today while i was in getting the MS3 serviced (oil change and SRS light issues). My thoughts:

The styling could grow on me. I like the overall shape of the car, From the headlights to the back end. The front reminds me of the RX-8 with the flared fenders, and it has a more refined look to it, not the sharp angles that you see on the new accord/camry/malibu, but instead more of the aerodynamic shape.

The interior was very nice, even though i think a flat black trim would have been better then the marbled stuff they have. The adjustable center console armrest was different, could have its pluses and minuses depending on the situation. The 10-speaker system was good enough that it wouldn't need anything except maybe a sub in the back. Most everything had a soft release to it, the glovebox, center console, sunglass holder, 'ohshit' handles... The seats were comfortable, they hugged you when you leaned into them, but could have been a bit softer IMO. The gauges had the smae electro-luminescent look as the MS3, with maybe a bit more accent of blue. Also the trunk was fricking huge, enough room for 5 people's luggage to fit with room to spare, and the trunk liner even had 'Mazda6' on it.

The push-button start i didn't mind, i could see where it could get to be a pain in the ass but it wasn't that bad. When you start up the car it says 'Zoom-Zoom' on the display, which i thought was a nice touch. It's a very quiet car, from the engine to roadnoise (drag coefficient of .27). The V6 has a nice amt of power (272) and was very willing to jump to 75-80 when we were getting onto 35S. Putting the pedal down to the floor to get up to speed was a nice feeling, and the transmission shifted smoothly and quietly. I didn't go into sportshift mode, maybe on the next test drive if i don't get the chance to drive the stick.

The salesman who was with me (Mike Palumbo) took me on the usual Walser route and told me to take my hands off the wheel and slam on the brakes on a straight stretch of road when there was no other cars in front of us or behind us. So i did as i was told, and wet roads and all we came to a very quick stop, still on the pavement, with a little hint of squatting from the car.

All in all i was very impressed with the car having never driven a 1st gen 6. It still had some sportiness to it, had the right amt of horsepower (the 4cyl is 170) and had all the little amenities that you would need to be happy. Bluetooth integration, If your phone can play mp3s you don't even have to hook it up to the car, still has the aux in jack for your iPod/Mp3 player in the center console.

Would i consider trading in the MS3 for it? That depends, give me another year to decide.

7. AJ

AJ 110 HP of FURY!

So what your saying is you like the retarded twin to a PT cruiser? :D

8. ZoomZoom Diva

ZoomZoom Diva New Member

The styling is going to be divisive. A combination of almost exaggeratedly voluptuous curves and starkly plain elements do not marry well to my eye. The lines made the car appear lower to the ground than it is and wider, but unfortunately also emphasized the fact this is a big car. It looks every bit of its length with both front and rear fascia that stretch. In stretching the rear roofline, Mazda made the unfortunate choice to add a piece of black plastic rather than a window or to change the read door windows to cover the space. The one thing I will say for it is that it does not strike me as any other car.

Going to the interior, I can see where they tried to make it appear upscale and premium. However, while there was more equipment and it was fancier, I found it more stodgy than classy or luxurious. Touring and Grand Touring trim lines have panels finished in a grey and black stripe that reminds of little more than some of the 70's wall paneling in the house I grew up in. The dash was also black on the GT model I drove with an otherwise tan interior, which did not work well aesthetically. Were the materials better or was the fit and finish better? Some materials definitely were, though I would say the fit and finish was about the same (no complaints with either) Overall, the controls worked well, though the steering wheel controls for audio and cruise functions are significantly smaller than on the 1st gen, and the rocker switches less user friendly than the earlier design. While I had limited experience with the audio system, I would say it is a little better than the Bose on the 1st gen, and the beeps can now be turned off from the audio menu.

The driving position is quite good, assisted by the 8 way power driver's seat, and a turn knob for lumbar rather than the useless lever on earlier models. Large mirrors and easy visibility out the car meant I did not need to test the Blind Spot Warning System. I will agree the seat leather has been upgraded, but the seat shape put an unfortunate top bolster that dug into my shoulders. Head room was also very tight under the moonroof for the driver (6'2"), tighter than on my 5 door by a fraction. While a power passenger seat is a welcome addition, they neglected to include a height adjustment, making the new 6 yet another car I cannot fit into the passenger seat. A plastic cover for the frame VIN is also annoyingly in the passenger footwell. Rear seat leg room was the most notable increase in the new car, but unfortunately the swept roofline makes headroom at a premium, making the rear seat no more comfortable for me than a 1st gen sedan. The rear seat itself was nicely shaped and supportive and exit and entry was easy from all doors.

The trunk is large, with a flat floor, and the pass through when the seat is folded is about normal size. However, one of the more annoying cost cutting moves was the seats no longer fold in one operation. The handles have also been downgraded to nylon loops. Other unfortunate penny pinching includes the visor vanity mirrors now are only lit from one side rather than both (a light above would have been a less noticeable way to save a light), and the center console. While the armrest slides back and forth (though useless because it is too low), there is only one level with a removable tray rather than the two separate levels in ours. Interior storage has also been diminished by the loss of the dash top bin.

One note: the auto-up windows passed the fist test. I put my fist (pinky down) in the window channel and activate the auto-up window. The window reversed effectively and kept the forces low enough not to hurt the hand. For those who commented on the first gen 6, the lockout button still locks out the driver's controls.

OK, so enough of the look/touch/feel... how did they drive? I started with the I4 model, and found the power decent, but of course not what I'm used to with a V6 MTX. While I prefer more power, I was able to chirp the 1-2 shift on an onramp and never felt I was lacking for power. The MTX unit shifted nicely, but it felt less connected and mechanical than I like, and the small rounded shift knob did not fit well to the hand. Shifts throws are short and sure and the clutch works well, though is light. On the V6, I could definitely feel the power, but it was hard for me to compare actual acceleration to my car as it is so isolated. Noise elimination is taken to extremes on both models, but particularly with the eerie silence of the V6 model. The shifts were undetectable with the 6 speed unit whether I shifted or let it. There is a serious lack of engine and exhaust music from either powertrain.

The ride is well controlled, however, the softness serves to isolate and insulate the driver away from the driving experience rather than draw the driver into it. Stodgy is also an apt description of the car's handling. While it took what I threw at it, and body lean was controlled, there was no spirit to it. There is a large dead zone where the steering center should be that detracted from the total experience and the nimbleness. The car feels its size on winding roads, though very competent. The tire selection is the same Pilot HX MXM4's that plagued the 1st generation Mazda6, so a decent set of tires may help some handling elements, though I fear the dead spot steering is not one of them. In tighter maneuvers, I did not notice the smaller turning circle, and the speed sensitive steering is seamless. Mazda claims it's a little heavier than the 1st generation, but I could not feel it. The gauges were a sporting aspect, but I would rather have seen the gauges as a clustered panel rather than individual tunnels. An overly busy LED display attempts to display odometer, trip odometer, and outside temperature. It was also unfortunate that using the trip computer eliminates the clock from the center display.

Overall, the car didn't just grow up and become more roomy and luxurious, but it grew old too. It's fancier, more equipped, more powerful, in some ways roomier, but it also lost its Zoom Zoom along the way. I would not consider this a sports sedan or even a sporty sedan anymore. Name it a Mercury Milan, style it to those cues where needed, and it would fit right in and be an appropriate product. It does not fit to the brand Mazda has built over the last several years.